5/25/2008

Massachusetts 19, or On The Road Again...Soon

Here's the short version of events: I'm taking a trip around the continental US to determine where I should live for the next few years. I have a few major requirements for the place I want to live, including:
- I need a poetry (preferably slam) scene that will push my work in new and exciting directions.
- I need to be able to find a job/affordable apartment.
- There has to be winter. The snowier the better.
- There has to be good enough public transportation that I can get around with no car.
- Friends or family or both would be nice.
- Probably away from the east coast, at least for a little while.


Schedule:

Fly out to Chicago on 7/30
Bus to Madison on 8/3
Bus/drive to Minneapolis on 8/10 (Drive with Manning-Cornells?)
Train to Seattle 8/14-8/16
Bus to San Francisco 8/22-8/23
Bus to LA 8/26
Train to Tuscon 8/30
Bus to Denver 9/5?
Fly to Miami 9/12
Fly to Atlanta on 9/18
Fly to Newark/NY on 9/22 in time for Dodge Poetry Festival/Rosh Hashanah
Post-High-Holidays: make my back somehow to somewhere to start a life or something


If you have advice or knowledge of any of these places (particularly the italicized ones), please let me know via comments or email at dlhoratio@yahoo.com. Also, the blog will pick up rapidly once I'm traveling again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dane - Looks like a good trip! And I guess there'll be only 1 tour, with mixed transportation, so no 30 day bus pass? Now you just need to line up poetry gigs and couches to surf for all these places. Sounds good. - Love, YLM

Liora said...

when in tucson, DRINK MORE WATER THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED TO. it's pretty much not a fulfilling city, with most life goin on by the college - it's actually a very thriving downtown area there - little greek place on the corner, chipotle, a few asian places, diner, etc...you get the picture. plus you could try and visit the planetarium on campus! it's awesome.

i don't know much about actually city tucson, but it's not very pretty. also, it has some pretty sketchy places, so I would say AVOID DARK ALLEYWAYS.

Stacy said...

Dane, I just saw this post and hope you have an amazing adventure! If you have any way of stopping in Missoula, Montana, you totally should. I think it has most of what you're looking for. I spent a very happy summer there without a car, but it might be harder in the winter (it hardly rains in the summer and it stays light a long time and I rode my bike everywhere) or if you want to get out of town. But such an incredible place. See http://www.missoulawritingcollaborative.org/About/index.html for example. And the farmer's markets are to die for.

Hope that post-smith life is treating you well!

Stacy

Unknown said...

Hi Dane -

I should be in San francisco when you arrive so call me up!