5/27/2008

Massachusetts 20, or In Which We Witness A Blathering of Insecurity

Let us ignore for the moment that the aforeposted trip is primarily about poetry, and getting to experience poetry scenes across the US. Instead, let us peruse past the bullshit, and get to the heart of what I'm really doing: running away, as fast and as far as I can.

By all logic, I shouldn't be doing the ridiculously ambitious trip I outlined in my last post. I should be using my freshly minted Bachelor's to pursue something noble, profitable, or at least something I'm interested in like being a youth advocate or writing poems. In fact, choosing to travel for two months solid is an absolutely terrifying venture that promises to be full of boredom, discomfort and little incidents I will probably later refer to as "learning experiences."

I do not travel well, as evidenced by my accounts of my time in Europe. I'm not quite a souffle, per say, but I'm at least a hot blueberry pie or basket of fresh strawberries, guaranteed to arrive moldy and grumpy. I do not look forward to traveling. I don't even like sightseeing. I like eating, and seeing people I know that I don't get to otherwise, and maybe experiencing a different climate than the one I'm used to. But a traveler, I am not.

But why does traveling around the country while searching for a place to live sound so much less scary than applying for real jobs?

And why do the casual words of one of my relatives keep echoing uncomfortably in my head? She said, "We are of the 'options' class - we can do these kinds of things!" She's right. I have enough money to be able to do this kind of trip without worrying about running out, and probably still enough to move to a new place at the end of it.

I think these two thoughts are inextricably linked. Part of the reason I've balked at applying for jobs (not job searching, mind you - I haven't stopped looking for jobs that sound good) is because I realized just how little experience I have with actually working . Sure, I've done internships and worked at summer camps. I can write, do research and run a meeting. But these are things I've mostly done for free, and the quality of my work hasn't been measured in such a way that seems provable.

Let me explain: in the summer of 2006, I did an internship at a queer youth center for which my college gave me a stipend. I have outstanding recommendation letters from both my supervisors. They say that I organized and edited a self-published magazine and threw a poetry slam, and helped the day-to-day operations of the center. Not bad, right? Except that the majority of the difficult legwork and red tape was not my job - it was my boss's job. I was the "unpaid" intern who was supposed to be learning, but also having fun.

I've never worked in a grocery store, never been a lifeguard, never poured coffee or painted houses or potted plants for a living. I have no particular skills like that, except cooking, and even that wasn't in a restaurant. How do I tell a restaurant, "Well, no, I've never worked in a restaurant, but I can cook a vegetarian kosher dinner for 80 college students as long as I have one other person to help?"

It's all this "unofficial" work, the internships and the volunteering and the community-based stipend-driven work. It feels like trying to convince someone you'd be a great preschool teacher because you have a toddler. The skill set could work, but there's some big pieces missing.

But I still have this option to run, to get on the road and see if a bus or a train or a plane can leave me a few miles ahead of all this. Maybe I can develop some skills en route to Denver. Or Minneapolis. Or, you know, wherever.

6 comments:

Abby said...

Just because you didn't get paid for it doesn't mean it isn't real experience. It's not like you're suddenly going to find yourself in charge of the red tape. I'd imagine that wherever you end up working, you'd still be starting level, and thus not expected to know everything about everything. And your K experience is real. It has deadlines, expectations, and lots of people to feed. Don't devalue your experiences just because you weren't paid to do them.

Sara said...

Dane- Are you a Smith or not a Smithie? I thought Smithies are supposed to yell out to the world that she can do anything and have accomplished as much as men? Don't EVER feel guilty or underestimate your own value. You learned all this and mastered them, so brag! It's a tough thing to do for those who are modest and givers (like me and you) but employers appreciate it when you can speak up and say, "Yes, I CAN DO THIS!"

You just didn't see the stuff you did as a resume-builder, which is great because you were able to enjoy doing them. Now is time to change your attitude a bit and tell others that you can cook, organize, publish, et cetera. Your experience at summer camp is valuable- I use it all the time to get gigs with kids.

So anyway, entry-level positions are created for people who have little or no experience so just apply for one and you'll get trained for it. Even if it's a position in a restaurant.

Good luck with your travels! You will LOVE San Francisco- so many organic and vegetarian places and the city's just filled with arts and cultural events. *hugs*

(yeah, I can totally understand the idea of moving away from East Coast a bit...)

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with your friends Dane. I have had moments in different points in my careers when I feel like a total fraud - how can I be getting paid for stuff I don't "really" know how to do - or that I'm not really worth what I'm paid. But it's important to know that you do know a lot already - how to do things, how to motivate and teach other people to do things - and that you are a good learner, so you can learn anything you need to on a job. And whether or how much you get paid does not validate it. Your commitment to your paid and unpaid jobs has been outstanding, and, in case you don't remember, the K job was paid. Write your resume and start passing it around. And while we're on the subject, you may want to consider that being a nanny, while it may give you time to write and volunteer, is less likely than many other jobs to add to your self-esteem in the "real" resume/job world.
YVLM

Ariel said...

See, I've had trouble putting the kind of "menial" skills you mention on a resume. The jobs I'm looking at, do they really care that I love waxing floors? That I have lots of experience cleaning bathrooms and setting out crackers for hungry mobs? That I can make a mean lime rickey or frappe? I think those skills are meaningful, but how do they fit in applying for an entry level job at some non-profit? I find that volunteer/intern type stuff fits a lot easier into a resume than the fact that I put my heart and soul into making sure spaces were sparkling clean, milkshakes were delicious, and trash was taken out.

I'm a traveler—I always have been—but for the first time in my life I'm tired and I'm scared. I just want to settle down someplace for a little while, but at the same time part of me would like to take to the open road and see where I end up Maybe I'll be ready for that in a few more years. Good luck on your journey. I'll be gone from Minnesota by the time you get here, but enjoy your stay and your travels.

Liora said...

lol this is exactly the way i was feeling about starting this internship - don't worry. working is weird - you're really productive all day, and then you're expected to do it again. your boss gives you projects (or projects for other people) and you work on them until they're done. he/she checks up on you, gives you more work, then you go home at the end of the day.

for example: one of my new projects is to find a cooresponding fact about Abe Lincoln for every day of the year. ex: on Feb 1, 1861, Abe wrote to queen victoria that he was sorry her husband died.
...one for every day of the year.

so honestly, it seems scary, but it's just not that bad. and chances are you won't have to look up facts about abe. so how honestly bad could it be? i think worst case scenario is boring. or at least that's what i've learned.

Anonymous said...

Dandoo,
You know the way jobs are rated from 1 to 10? By the percent inspiration they contain. A 1 job has 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration, and so on. The 1% id what makes it sufferable. If you can get to 10% you live in the ideal world! The main thing is not to be afraid of it. Sooner or later you will find what gives you the 10%, sometimes even more. The problem with life is that the perspiration can never be totally avoided.
LYP