7/09/2009

Seattle 41, or Homework

Three weeks now, I've been bringing poems about the kids I work with to writing class. None of them succeed - they trigger bad memories for people, make them angry, bring up all the ugliness of their childhoods. This week, I brought a poem that tried to hold myself accountable for whose stories I put onstage. I likened my kids' stories to the story of a tiger, taken from the wilderness and put in a zoo, to be kept safe, only to be taken from the zoo and thrust into a circus for someone else's profit. I don't want to talk about my kids onstage to win slams. I do it because I care about them so much I can hardly think or write about anything else.

The class is unimpressed with my efforts, as are several outsiders - the idea of comparing children to zoo animals hits a little too close to ugly, too close to shame. Others think it's good, truthful. One of my coworkers reminds me that "[People who grew up in the system] don't know what it's like for us [who work it] any more than we know what it's like for them. This piece tells what it's like for us, and that's what you know." In my poem, it looks like this:

"I can't know what captivity feels like
any more than a tiger can know
the weight of cage keys on my belt."

Teacher gives me homework. She says to practice being vulnerable. She promises that practicing will lead to a genuine ability to be vulnerable onstage, to connect honestly with the audience. She points out that this will also probably lead to better scores. My assignment is to find a person I trust, sit down with them, and look straight into their eyes for five minutes without speaking, moving, or breaking eye contact.

I explain my homework to my coworker, and invite her for lunch and a staring contest. We eat well, buttered rice with cilantro sauce, fried eggs, fresh mango for dessert. We head into my house's meditation room, a giant room with no furniture and seven large skylights: best used for dancing, or things like this. We settle on a few pillows, and I set my alarm clock to go off in five minutes.

We go through a period of smiling nervously at each other, but it passes quickly. I spend some time trying to think about what I should be thinking about, but I don't know what I'm supposed to think about, so I just try to let thoughts drift about and land wherever they want to. I think about car crashes for awhile. I'm sure this isn't helping me be a better poet. My coworker fidgets less than I do. When I think I'm about to go crazy, I start counting seconds. I count five minutes, and the alarm hasn't gone off. I must've counted too fast. I'm such a wimp for not even lasting the five minutes, but I break the silence and whisper, "I think I didn't turn my alarm on."

She giggles. "Wanna go check it?"

I go. In fact, my alarm is off, and we've been sitting for 28 minutes. Neither of us believe it.

Tonight, at the poetry slam, Andi suggests I give the tiger poem a break for a few days. She's probably right; I've written four drafts of it in the last three days, and it probably deserves some percolating time. I decide to go with a new draft of the G-d piece. I'm finally almost happy with it. In fact, I think I may be done with it, despite the fact that half my readers will probably hate the new ending.

Onstage, the audience doesn't feel as far away as usual. I stand straight, feel my bones settle. I feel solid, grounded. My voice sounds a tiny bit different, more conversational, less performative.

I didn't even come close to winning, but I walked out feeling like I finally got somewhere. And I wouldn't trade that for anything.

1 comment:

Jennifer L. Walters said...

I think that this question of vulnerability is profound. As an artist (and as human being who wants to grow spiritually) one is challenged to go deeper to the heart of one's motivations, actions, desires, and fears. This is how compassion and connection with others is fostered. But once you go in, you have to figure out how to stay connected to that soft inner place but also protect it so it remains a way of connection rather than becoming a private retreat - something no one else sees or touches. I am am really happy for you, Dane. I am happy that your poetry is leading you into deeper places and that you have trusted guides (including the richness of Jewish culture). You are already a terrific person in so many ways. I pray that as you mature as a poet and performer, your terrific-ness shines. Blessings.