6/08/2009

Seattle 27, or Farmer's Market - Wish I Had Pictures!

For the last several Sunday mornings, I've been going to a local farmer's market in the Norwegian neighborhood of Ballard. The market is one of my all-time favorites, featuring multiple cheesemakers, a chocolatier, homemade ice cream in wild flavors (this week featured bay laurel, and rosemary brown sugar - both indescribably good), a spice vendor, fresh eggs, apple cider (and apple cider vinegar, apple wine, etc etc), and of course, lots and lots of produce.

This week marked the first week of garlic scape season, which, as some of you will remember from last year, is my favorite summer green of all. I bought a good bunch, some Swiss chard, some spices, and some spring onions, about the size of golf balls, which I am now pickling in a mix of salt, pepper, thyme and balsamic vinegar. I hope to slice them thin and eat them on grilled cheese.

Maybe one of these weeks I'll convince one of my market-mates to bring a camera. I fingered some butter lettuce this week that was downright lascivious. No reason you all should miss out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this before breakfast, on an empty stomach. Not fair! Foody!
LYP

Anonymous said...

Foodie indeed!!
YVLM

Anonymous said...

And where was the steak and eggs?