6/05/2009

Seattle 26, or Recent Events

*Snapshot*

It's hotter here than it's been in awhile. It doesn't feel like an East Coast June at all - hardly any mugginess, just a thick dry heat settling over everything. I've been riding my bike to work without injury or complaint from my body, minus my seat. (Somehow, my bicycle came with a seat that feels like sitting on top of a flag pole, fence post, or other unpleasant protrusion into one's rear.) The kids at work take every opportunity to go outside, turn their faces to the sun. Today, Tasha spread her arms wide and told me she wanted a tan. When I asked why, she said, "So I can be the same color as [Mexican-American kid], because we're friends, and so that when the rain comes I'll have plenty of warm stored up in my skin."

*Snapshot*

Andi and I go swimming in Lake Washington, a behemoth between the suburbs and the wealthier suburbs. The beach is grass and trees, all the way to the water's edge. The lake bottom is all pebbles, river-smooth and covered in lake muck. I love it. I feel home between my toes. We swim out to a dock some sixty feet from shore, carefully avoid the goose droppings, stretch out, soak. The water is cold, deep. I can feel its pulse coming from somewhere too far for me to dive. We picnic at a table in the shade: pita, good cheeses, oranges, cookies, water in an apple juice jug. It tastes like childhood at the pool. All we need is an ice cream truck.

*Snapshot*

The beach used to be a military base. They're now turning it into a community center and business complex, rehabilitating the land around it, and opening it up to the public. There's a beautiful rock climbing wall (built with real rock) mounted against the side of an eighty foot building. Lots of glistening shirtless men with lean muscles are spider-monkeying on it in the sun. My legs itch, jealous. It looks like one of the other buildings will eventually be some kind of art center, or school. Yet another has a sign advertising "Fright Night Teen Nights until 12:AM." Jealous again. Nobody ever did anything until midnight in my town, except hanging out at the diner.

*Snapshot*

This morning, I reach for my star necklace to explain something Jewish to one of the kids, and find only the cord I've been wearing it on. It's gone, lost somewhere on the bike ride between home and work. I am not horribly saddened. Only a little bit. I've begun thinking it's time for a new one anyhow, though that one will always remain one of my favorites. Here's a couple I'm thinking about:
Choice A: Etz Chaim (Tree of Life)
from Peace And Love Shopping

Choice B: Also Etz Chaim
from Holy Land Gifts



Choice C: Just a basic star on a background
from Ebay


For some reason, I am much beloved of the trees. This is not news, only a new trend in jewelry, for me. What do you all think?

6 comments:

Leodios said...

Frankly, since you can't hold on to jew-lry, I think you should just get a tattoo. Of a mezuzah. On your inner thigh.

OK, OK. I think number "1" is the bestest.

gillis said...

i like the first one also.
but the second is also beautiful.

Ellen Sawislak said...

I think the first one seems more like you than either of the others though the second one is my second choice. I hope you enjoyed the sun since it is now overcast and raining again. It does usually stay sunny in July and August.
Peace
Ellen

Anonymous said...

I like the first one too. And I loved your description of the visit to the lake! Can't wait to swim at Paradox - it's still a bit cold.
Love,
YVLM

Abby said...

Love the eitz chayim theme. The first and second are just lovely. The first one looks a little sturdier and more for everyday wear.

Anonymous said...

The second one has more to see in it... and is my favorite...