6/04/2009

Seattle 25, or Wednesday One-Liner

This week, I took third, but Daemond (the slammaster, whom I affectionately call "Papa D") said he's noticing subtle, important improvements in my pacing and clarity . I'd like to point out to all those doubters that slam does have some element of randomness to it, and the fact that I've consistently made the final round in the last five or six slams is noteworthy indeed!

This is from last week (photo credit, as always, to Andi Burk), in the middle of my piece "The Memory of Rising," which is about my grandma. It was one of my favorite performances of the piece, probably because I miss her so much. One of the best things I'm learning here is how to get visibly emotional onstage without making it too much like acting or too much like therapy. I think this picture really captures one of the moments where I "got it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful picture, and it's good to hear that your progressing/improving your art.
love,
yvlm