3/20/2009

Detroit 3, or Workshopping

I'm so exhausted. I got to Dee's magical workshop at 11 this morning, and didn't leave until 4:15. The workshop was simple: each poet got to do 30 seconds of a poem, receive feedback, absorb as much as possible, then repeat the excerpt. Last year, this workshop earned its moniker "magical" by allowing everyone present to watch poets turn their performances upside down from just a few minutes of critique. This year, so many people participated that it was a little chaotic, and, as mentioned, went on forever.

This doesn't mean it wasn't useful, or fun to participate in, but by the time I went - third to last - there were less than a dozen people in the room, down from nearly sixty. Still, I got a few edits that will be useful. And I have a couple hours to rehearse before tonight's bouts.

On the menu tonight: my new Israel poem, and I'm-not-sure-what for the two minute round.

No comments: