3/18/2009

Detroit 1, or We Will Now Take a Detour

I'm in Detroit for the Women of the World poetry slam once again. I got to see the awesome Last Chance Slam, in which women competed for (you guessed it) the last spot in the competition. Rhe, a poet from the Twin Cities, won it with a strong performance and stronger writing - a bone-chilling piece narrating a woman's path down the hallway of an abortion clinic.

Getting here was something of a small adventure. I met the lovely Esme near the baggage claim after my exhausting 7+ hours of travel (including a four-hour layover in Atlanta). Once we had all our luggage, we hopped in a cab and gave the driver the address - a theater on Broadway Street.

About a half hour into the trip, I noticed we were taking the exit - for ANN ARBOR. Slightly alarmed, I said "Why are we headed towards Ann Arbor?" to which he replied, "Broadway Street, Ann Arbor, no?"

After we sorted that out and turned around, Esme and I exchanged some alarmed looks while the driver berated himself - apparently, this is his first-ever major mistake. We arrived at the theater about halfway through the first round of the slam, and I stored my bags under several people's chairs.

Getting to a major poetry event has become one of my favorite things in the world. Tonight, I walked into a crowded theater and immediately recognized almost half the people in it. I was approached for hugs and greetings and offers to take my bags from my shoulders. There were big smiles and reaching arms and delighted eyes. What a rush of warmth. What a way to feel like you've come home in a strange place.

No comments: