8/27/2008

Los Angeles 1, or Arrival Post

Sorry there wasn't an arrival post from Oakland, but I was there for less than twenty four hours, so I didn't really have the chance. Oakland was lovely, and full of a small house with a big and generous kitchen, two cats, a turtle, some fish and chickens in the back yard. There were also snuggles and talks and tea and sunsets and fresh vegetables.

Today was a bus ride that was about the length of the drive from Connecticut to Canada. Except it was all in one state. And here I am, in LA, in another place that is more like home than many others. It occurs to me that I'm getting to see all this extended family without my parents for the first time. We've been talking a lot of family history, contemporary family news too. I'm the Pony Express, bringing the latest from the East coast via Amtrak and Greyhound and yesterday's phone calls.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just went and looked at the schedule of your trip that you posted on your LJ a while back, because I couldn't remember where you were planning to go after California. And I noticed "Miami, 9/12." Is that still happening? Because it's looking pretty likely that I'll still be in Miami at that point, which means you are basically required to come see me. :)

(My first thought on realizing 9/12 is a Friday is "OMG YOU SHOULD COME FOR SHABBAT." But only if you don't already have plans for Shabbat.)

Dane said...

Ah. Sorry to burst your bubble, sboltsalah, but "Miami" is actually code for "Ft. L" which is code for "Grandmama in Boca" which is actually where I'll be...although, I'll be there for a week, so there's a chance? I'll leave it for you to decide how much of a chance. I'd love to see you too. :-) As for Shabbes, I'm taken. My grandmama's shul has TorahCam, in which one can follow along with the torah reading via GIANT PROJECTOR SCREEN...can you compete with that? I think not. :-p

But seriously, tell me how far it is between Miami and Boca, and we'll make it happen.

Anonymous said...

Boca's a one-to-two-hour drive. Far, but doable. Not too much farther than Deerfield Beach, where we occasionally go for family get-togethers with my great-aunt...

Anonymous said...

Or there's the Tri-Rail, which takes about an hour. That's probably a better option.