4/25/2007

Praha 50, or Je Me Souviens

"Je me souviens" is the official motto of Quebec. It means "I remember." But I've used it to title today's entry because I wanted to talk about souvenirs.

Souvenirs make me generally uncomfortable. This could have to do with the fact that I've been receiving shotglasses from all over the world since I was about twelve (and apparently, my father thought I should start early). This could have to do with the fact that the majority of souvenirs aren't really good for anything. But mostly this has to do with the small panic I have whenever I travel about what to get everyone.

The panic usually goes like this:
1)Oh, wow look at those earrings. Those would look good on X.
2)Did I get X something yet? Oh yeah, I got her that poster. But I'd love for her to have these earrings. Is it okay to get her two souvenirs?
3)But how can I get X two souvenirs if I haven't gotten anything for her brother? And if I get her brother something, does that put me under obligation to get something for the brother's best friend?
4)And how can I even be thinking about this when I haven't found something for all the people who are much closer to me than X?

...and then I descend into a pointless waste of time worrying about whether X, Y, and Z would be eternally angry with me if I forgot to get something for their cat. And somewhere in those worries, I forget how much I love getting gifts for people - when it's just the right thing. I love the moment when I see something perfect for someone and spend the rest of the afternoon happily thinking about them.

So, I've decided to create a new souvenir policy. It's not fair, but it'll keep me sane. It goes like this: if I see something that made me think of you, and thought you would love, you'll get a souvenir. If nothing happened to catch my attention and make me think of you, you'll get all my hugs and stories. It doesn't mean I don't love you. It doesn't mean I don't miss you. It doesn't even mean I wasn't thinking about you. It means you've been spared from having to express worlds of excitement over a key chain with a little beer mug on it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I see a "Czech Me Out!" shirt that my mother would look fabulous in.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana,
I think hat's a beauty and so very true! Don't ever worry about Quebec's motto, your blog and your hugs when you come back will be more than enough, we can hardly wait! By my count it is 15 days!
LYP

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with LYP! It's a great description of the agony of souvenirs - from both sides! But hey, a key chain with a beer mug? Now that should make anyone's day!
LLL,
YVVVLM

Sara said...

I agree- that's why i just picked up that pig on the swing at the castle even though it was cheap!

She loved it.

And I didn't really get my brother or father anything- just because I didn't see anything that didn't remind me of them.

Also, sometimes people are hard to shop for and just giving them hugs and your blog are enough. But the end you should feel good- everyone gets to hear about your adventures and those you've been able to find gifts for will cherish them forever.

Anonymous said...

have to say the last line is my favorite out of anything you've written so far.

also, that's kinda the policy I go by, except everyone else gets a random chachki.

Dane said...

*snort* I love how you're so supportive, little sister. Also, coming from the Holy High Empress/Queen of Tchochkes herself, why am I not surprised?

Anonymous said...

hey.. whats wrong with shooters???

:-)