4/13/2007

Budapest 1, or A Very Short Letter

Dear Mammy,

Do you remember how much I loved gymnastics when I was a kid? Well, today, in the middle of a park in Budapest, I found a grown-up-sized trampoline and went jumping for fifteen minutes! It was so much fun, and I realized that I can still do flips.

The sun was so bright today, I think I burned a little. But I felt just like a rhododendron plant, spreading out and opening up to the sun. The warmth felt great. And I really like Hungarians - there's more English here than in Prague, because they all know how incredibly impossible Hungarian is.

We went to a crazy synagogue for services tonight. There was an organ, a choir, and a chazzan that could have been an opera star. I quite hated it - there was no room for me to sing! And tonight we had Shabbat dinner with some Serbians and Slovaks who are doing March of the Living. They wanted to know if our lives in the US were like the movies and TV.

Later, I will tell you more about what I learned; about Aggie, our Jewish History of Budapest guide; about the contents of the kosher grocery store, and about the spa. And I will tell you all of it, because I have given up on my camera (it's too big, takes pictures that are too blurry too slowly, and I'm always afraid of scratching it because it has no case), and because I am a writer who takes terrible pictures anyway.

Love,
~D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear dandoo,
of course I remember how much you loved gymnastics. You used to spend your time in our garden mostly upside down! It was fun talking to you with your feet up in the air and your face in the grass! It is great that you can still do it so you did not lose your gym-skills.

What did you tell the Serbs and Slovaks (or maybe they were Slovenes?) who inquired how life in the US was? I still remember wanting to know the same thing. In my days the US represented the life of glamor, beautiful split levels, perfect make-up and hairdos when they were cleaning the house. I do not know if it will reach you in time, but the Hungarian greetings are JO NAPOT (pronounced YOH NAPOT) for Good Day, Koessoenam for Thank You.

Enjoy your visit in Budapest and we are waiting for your return to Prague, so we can have a long chat. Na shledanou soon!

Love, love, love, LYG

Sara said...

I can relate to you about life in the US if it was like in the movies. The Israelis believe in the same thing, especially about the college life (aka American Pie). I'm so glad that you enjoyed Budapest- I'm still getting negative comments from my grandmother :P. They'll be in Prague tomorrow and staying until Thursday. I've given them all the tips, including no purses allowed. Grandma bought a clear carrying bag "so that everyone can see what she's carrying" and I protested until she agreed not to carry it! So if you see a woman who seemed to have disobeyed me walking around then that's her *winks*