3/30/2007

London 1, or Alaska Says Sun
The title of this entry comes from a poem by one of my favorite poets, Andrea Gibson. But I'm using it because when I got off the National Express bus, and heard my name called across the rain-soaked crowd, I answered "Abby!" like Alaska says "sun!" after the winter solstice. It's been cloudy and drizzling the whole time, but I haven't stopped smiling. We've been cooking and singing, and going to different outdoor markets and hanging out with her friends. Tonight, we stopped by London's Gay and Lesbian Film Festival to see a mediocre documentary, but I could've stayed in that theatre for hours soaking up all the wonderful energy.

I feel like a kid who has just learned to read because I can read road signs and books, and even the ingredients on the shampoo bottles! I can eavesdrop on public transportation, ask directions of anyone on the street, and, wonder of wonders, buy a book!

I'm not kidding. It's not the weather, it's not Prague, it's simply being with a good, strong friend. I am a happy duck.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sure does you old mom's heart good to hear about sun! in Alaska... and to know you arrived safely in London-town.
Have fun!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are in English speaking territory and even can read what's in the shampoo! Monday you will e back in Prague and can show off to Abby with your proficiency in Czech!

Na shledanou, my dear, read you soon, have a great Pesach, enjoy the charoset and Chag Sameach!

LYM

Leah said...

That's sooo exciting that you and Abby got to see each other in Europe! Speaking of Hillel...I had 5 hours of Glee Club rehersals last night...and Alex, Molly and Davy were there...so we were all not celebrating Shabbat together! (It's been over a month since I last got to be at the K...but we have Kashering for Passover tomrrow!)

Love,
Leah

Sometimes Davey Wins said...

for real, you can read all the ingredients in your shampoo? yr damn smart, then. i can't, and my shampoos organic /and/ english.

Dane said...

Yeah, I can read them - doesn't mean I understand them! :-)

Unknown said...

So glad you and Abby were reunited, and a little jealous too :-)

The other day, it seemed spring was here and a good day for herrils. Sitting outside was a woman licking her ice cream cone, long braid down her back. For a second I thought it was you.

so, once and for all, I have decided that
I
miss
you.

Happy Freedom Week!