1/24/2007

Praha 6, or Snow Falling on Cobblestones

Snow! Snow has finally reached Prague, in a quiet, if slightly windy shower. There's about an inch of it on the ground, which is turning the already-slippery sidewalks and streets into a veritable death trap. I took the metro to school for the first time this morning - it's only a 10-12 minute walk from my apartment normally, but today I would've broken my neck trying to walk down the square.

Aida last night was wonderful. I snoozed through some of it, but most of it was exquisitely sung and performed. Even the typically reserved European audience was moved - I heard one man shout "Brava!" in the instant before the applause began after Aida's screeching aria. And the Prague Opera is an incredible building, with such intricate molding and paintings on the ceiling that it's just as much fun to watch as the stage. I put my hand over my mouth and sang along with the Triumphal March, marveling at the number of men - I counted well over sixty! That Priest's Chorus is unbelievable.

In the end, five of us went to the opera together. I was delighted - several of them had never been to an opera before, and they said it was beautiful, if a bit boring at times. We left with a copy of the season schedule, pointing and deciding which performances we want to see over the rest of the semester. I voted for The Magic Flute, of course, and Candide, and a few wanted to go see a ballet version of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I think I may have found some friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana,
I'm sending you lots of hugs. I'm glad that you're starting to find friends! In situations where I find myself in a group of people I don't know, it usually takes a bit of semi-awkward quietness before I start making friends.
I wish it would snow in Connecticut!!! (Well, its been snowing a little, but the snow always melts before the day's half over! grumble. . . global warming. . . grumble. . .)
I'm glad you enjoyed the opera!
Love,
Emily

Dane said...

Hey beautiful,

Thanks for your notes! I wish I could be sending you music, like usual - I heard some awesome Czech and German punk rock last night.

Yeah, my flat is kind of awkward at times, but I'm starting to connect with at least a few of them...how did midterms go?