1/23/2007

Praha 5, or, A List of Good Things
(written 1/23/07)

1) The housemate that went out for Indian food last night (from now on shall be called Ellen) has offered to go to the opera with me tonight. She says with confidence that she is sure some other students will want to go with us if we announce it in class today. We think Verdi’s Aida is playing – an opera I’ve sung a couple of pieces from.

2) I slept completely through the night!

3) My bedroom is at the back of the apartment, so I only hear the very loudest street noises, like sirens, and it gets none of the 24 hr. light that my other housemates’ rooms do.

4) That said, I love to wake up before the sun, and watch the street come to life from the living room.

5) This city is more like a French Boston than like New York – it’s not claustrophobic, or full of incredibly tall buildings. Rather, we’re talking narrow, windy cobblestone streets.

6) I will never, ever have to drive here.

7) The word prosim (PRO-sim, or PRO-shim) is an excellent word, and I can pronounce it well enough to use it frequently. It technically means “please”, but it can be used all these ways:

a. In a store: Prosim, I would like to buy something.
b. On the street or a bus or a train, Prosim, I didn’t mean to bump you.
c. If someone thanks you, Prosim is an acceptable “you’re welcome.”
d. If you’re trying to get past somebody, Prosim works like “Excuse me.”
e. If you need directions, you can get someone’s attention on the street by saying Prosim!
f. Repeating it over and over and over again, will give the clear message that you do not speak Czech, and that you are a tourist who is trying not to be a total idiot. Particularly when paired with words like Anglike? (AHN-gli-kee), or “English?”

Luggage Update: Still missing. 4 ½ days.

2 comments:

Alexei said...

Prosim... much like the Russian "excuse me" which can be used for any and everything. At least you are a polite tourist :)

I'm glad to see that your travels were safe and that you are starting to settle in.

Miss you tons!

Anonymous said...

Sleep ah... wonderful sleep....
hang in, hang on, and Don't DRIVE :-)

It's hard to re-establish a home, but your good at it. Finding food and doing what your know how to do really well is the first step. Everyone needs to ground themselves sooner or later...

tell us how the music went, and did you find a pair of "Red Slippers"?

l,
Dad