6/11/2011

Seattle 159, or Nesting Bird

I've moved into my new house, and things are Okay. Not perfect, not hugely exciting, but Okay. I spent last night unloading a box of books, which is always an emotional experience. It also brings up questions about how I want to organize my books: do my comfort books go on the easily-reached shelf? Do I take the plunge and go alphabetical? What about arranging them in a rainbow by spine color?

One things was certain right away: my new little bookshelf isn't going to hold even half of what I've got. It's possibly time for a run to the dreaded Swedish shop, or some aggressive Craigslisting. In the meantime, here are my shelves:

- Lesbian/Feminist comfort books (includes books by Leslea Newman, all of Alison Bechdel, and Eve Ensler)
- Young Adult comfort books (includes Bat 6, Speak, No Castles Here, Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweller and all of Joan Bauer...
- Important Books That I Never Read (includes prayerbooks....and that's it.)
- Significant Books That I Never Read (includes books with long, loving notes from the authors or gift-givers, and other peoples' treasured books)
- Books For When Small Children Come Over (Includes A Fly Went By, Walk When The Moon Is Full, Rise Up Singing and others)

Soon to come: Poetry, poetry, poetry. Also Old Haggadot, Cookbooks With Pretty Pictures, Cookbooks That Are Important For Unknown Reasons, and Old Notebooks That Deserve To Live Somewhere Other Than Under The Bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that a list of book categories could be so amusing! Happy nesting!
LYVLM
P.S. Mela stuff is on its way...

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.