2/25/2010

Seattle 99, or Tales from the Teacher's Desk

The Korean third-grader and I are nestled in the corner of the bookstore where World History meets Biography (out of the way of the screamy toddlers in the kids section). We've settled down with the first two Addy books, part of the American Girl series. Addy is a 9-year old girl (same age as my student), born into North Carolina slavery. The story takes place shortly before the end of the Civil War (but not too shortly - it's still summer of 1864).

I've chosen these books for a few reasons: the reading level is appropriate, and my student will identify with the main character. But I've mostly chosen them for their topic. My student, a Korean girl, spending the year in the US with her mother (so she can get a solid year of English fluency), doesn't have the same cultural lexicon and context as many of the girls in her class. A few weeks ago, as we worked through a social studies assignment, she asked me "What does this mean, 'his father was a former slave?'"

The first few chapters of Meet Addy are heavy. There are graphic descriptions of whippings, fear, and humiliation. Twenty pages in, Addy is forced to swallow a fistful of tobacco worms that she overlooked while "worming." That particular image stayed with me through my own childhood and adolescence - such a chilling, yet kid-appropriate illustration of sadistic cruelty.

After we finish the first few chapters, I assign her homework: two short essays. One: if you were Addy, would you want to run away or stay on the plantation? Why or why not? And two: You might have some big feelings while reading the Addy books. Write about how you felt while reading the first few chapters.

"How should I write about my feelings?" she asks me.

"Well," I say, "you could write about it like a diary entry. Or, if it would be easier to talk to someone, you could write me letter. Or your mom. Or Addy herself. "

She thinks about that for a minute. "Could I write a letter to white people?"

I nod. "Let me write that down for you on your assignment sheet so you don't forget that idea."

We spend the last fifteen minutes curled up in the kids section, reading fairy stories and picture books. I tell her that this isn't a reward, but an important part about learning things that upset us - it's important to take care of ourselves, go slowly, and make sure to remember to have fun and happiness. She curls up to me closer than usual, and turns the pages while I read to her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that, her follow up home work, and the previous incident with your student could be a nice basis for a short story! Lovely!

LYP