12/26/2009

Seattle 85, or The Omnivore's Delight

Today's farmer market haul:
- 2 beets, about the size of softballs
- 2 delicata squashes (I like to dice them, roast them with rosemary and pepper, and eat them like popcorn while watching movies.)
- 3 Jerusalem artichokes (new root for me! Never made 'em before.)
- a bunch of dino kale
- a bunch of curly kale
- 1 dozen eggs from the farmer boy who looked at me incredulously and said "bugs, grub, leftover vegetable scraps...what do you think chickens eat?" when I asked what his laying hens ate.
- a half pint of spreadable cow's cheese that made my tongue dance when I tasted it
- a small jug of sweet honeycrisp cider

Lunch: the Jerusalem artichokes, sliced thin and sauteed in olive oil, rosemary, pepper and salt. One fried egg, served on top. Eaten in a square of sunshine, in wool socks and tough pants.

Sourdough: rising in the oven.

Cooked yams: cooling, and waiting to be turned into orange gnocci.

It's good to be back.

No comments: