12/07/2009

Seattle 82, or Chanukah Questionaire

One menorah, or several? Hillel or Shammai? (just kidding about that part)

Growing up? Just one, the silver piece with movable arms on which I learned how to polish silver (with my father, after each Chanukah). In college, many – we each had our own, and on the final nights, dozens of candles gave us enough light to read/sing/do homework by. This year, I’ll be with my parents for most of Chanukah, which means one again. Depending on when it falls next year, I might see what the Kibbutz does.

Do you buy your children gifts for every night of Chanukah?

Oh, I will, eventually. Just as my mother swore every year that “this is the last year of presents-every-night” and then managed to always throw in an extra book or pair of good wool socks or box of colored pencils to make it last.

Do you and your spouse/partner or any other adults in your life exchange gifts?

In my family, the rule goes something like this “you’re a kid until you have kids but parents don’t get presents.” I was never expected to give gifts to my parents, or other adult relatives, but I do, sometimes. Both my parents’ birthdays tend to fall within a few weeks of Chanukah, so there’s a lot of doubling up. As for other adults to whom I’m not related – I give gifts to my friends, but they’re usually small and edible. I love giving presents, though.

Special family chanukah traditions?

Eh, the usual. Dreidel. Latkes. My father likes to seize my hands when we sing Ma O’tzur and move them around like he’s the puppetmaster and I’m the puppet. That’s about it.

Latkes or sufganiyot? If latkes, sour cream or applesauce?

We never ate latkes with sour cream growing up, but I fell in love with the combination in college. The last couple years, I’ve started putting salsa on latkes, and making sweet potato latkes with corn, scallions and cilantro. Totally not what my ancestors would’ve approved of, but hey, I’m a cook. Sufganiyot were never a big thing with us.

Favorite chanukah book?

Herschel and the Hanukah Goblins, hands down.


Do you actually play dreidl? If so, what do you use for counters?

Sometimes, yup. Usually pennies. I’m a dreidel master.

No comments: