12/15/2009

Boston 1, or The Stuff that Dreams are Made Of

Have you ever had a dream in which you knew where you were (eg home, at work, at school, etc) but the place in your dream looked nothing like it does in real life? How did you know "where you were?" Chances are, there was one thing in your dream to anchor the setting - a piece of furniture, a person, some detail that clued you in.

My dream goes like this: I'm at home, only it's not home because it's in Boston, and an apartment, but all my childhood furniture is there...and the phones ring the same and my parents are here too...and my mother and I even sat up until 2am talking on the couch we used to sit on, talking at 2am.

But it's Boston. So therefore, it's now "my parents' place." Not "home." Right?

There needs to be a new definition of home.

I like "Home is wherever there's someone you love to pick you up at the airport."

Jah?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

what about when you go visit the people you love? is wherever they are home?

ps will you be in nj at all during the winter?

Dane said...

Yes. Our families have a date to visit on Xmas day - which happens to be the day I leave, but not until around dinnertime.

gillis said...

hey dane,
i would love to get coffee or something with you while you're in boston, if you're available. also, i'm in a show at the somerville theater called the slutcracker; it's a burlesque version of the nutcracker and it's glorious. you should check it out if you get a chance to! there are performances on sunday at 2 and 8.
even if i don't get to see you, i hope you enjoy the time with your family!
-gillis