10/28/2009

Seattle 77, or Parents' Weekend

Parents' Weekend

Before your arrival,
I stood on fault-legged kitchen chairs
and wobble-wiped the cobwebs
from the highest ceiling corners.

As I kneaded the dough,
I imagined crescent marks
in the crust:
a smile,
a bite.

I sat you at my simple table,
offered you tea, rosemary bread,
a tour of my life.

Like parents
faced with their child's offering,
you beamed at everything I showed you;
the California architecture,
the pebbled beaches
and small bursts of sun,
the stream of loudmouthed warmth
that came steady through
the open Shabbat doors.

Those smiles
were copies
of my earliest memories,
when I had nothing more to show you
than a tuft of hair,
a fist balled around your thumb.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And we thank you for sharing with us your new life that you've created out of nothing and that is obviously working so well for you! I am proud to be your mother, and truly enjoyed every bit of the weekend with you, and wish you only the best in making all your dreams come true! And this is of course what I've always wished for you at every stage in your life - maybe that's why the smiles and joy we showed were so reminiscent of the past.
Love,
Mom