8/05/2009

Florida 2, or Night One

I got to host a bout between Milwaukee (which I will never again misspell), Mesa (Arizona), Providence (RI), and Omaha. It was a great bout, and the venue was packed. Such a huge difference from last summer in Madison, when the venues were practically empty. The MC's had a little contest going, to see who could get through their bout the fastest, without incurring any protests (from poets who thought we may have broken the rules). I won, by about five minutes, mostly due to my great bout manager who secured judges for us before the slam started. I'm hoping that this means I'll get one of the coveted spots to host a semifinal bout.

Then I got to go see Team Seattle! They did great, earning the #2 spot in their bout (to be fair, the #1 went to Orlando, and they had LOTS of friends in the audience).

Afterward, everyone jumped in the hotel pool. The pool is horribly warm and filled with salt water (!!), but the hotel staff are being incredibly nice and allowing a rather raucous group of poets to take over their pool for the night. It's outdoors, and the moon is blazing. People are so grateful for the chance to forget how much they're sweating.

No comments: