7/18/2009

Seattle 47, or Delicious Things For Which I Wish Had Pictures

Things I have Cooked Recently:

Smoked Paprika Dijon Caramelized Onion Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
All-Italian Sundried Tomato and Basil Pesto Parmesan and Mozzarella Macaroni and Cheese
Broccoli-Tofu Stir Fry with homemade peanut sauce

Things I have Been Delighted By Today:

Apricots, at the farmer's market. They came in this week, in a big way. So many varieties! I bought a bag of them, palm-sized fruit sporting a hearty blush. I never realized apricots could blush.

Apricot sorbet, by the guys at Empire Ice Cream. I've actually mentioned these guys before. This week, I also tasted Bay Laurel and Basil ice cream - delicious, though the apricot sorbet was so lusciously good, I bought a large cup of it and ate it in the shade while listening to a jazz trio serenade the market.

A bundle of rainbow chard, from Seattle Youth Garden Works, an organization that makes me want to drop everything and go volunteer for them. Will it actually happen? Probably not. I don't find gardening nearly as rewarding or fun as my mother, or my grandfather, or even most of my housemates. But, what a cool organization.

3 comments:

Yael said...

That all sounds so yummy! How do you make your peanut sauce? Ro and I found a recipe for one that involves mixing peanut butter with soy sauce but . . .then what?

sparrow said...

That all sounds so yummy!

^ Exactly what I was going to say. :)

Dane said...

My peanut butter sauce:

I'm totally guessing on the amounts of liquid, as I usually just pour until it tastes right.

- a knob of ginger about as big as one's thumb, peeled and sliced
- three cloves of garlic
- three spoonfuls of peanut butter (crunchy/smooth doesn't matter)
- about 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- about 1/3 cup soy sauce
- about 3 tbsp sesame oil

throw it all into a cuisinart and blend until done. thin out with water as necessary. toss a fistful of sesame seeds or chopped cilantro in at the end for extra awesomeness.