6/29/2009

Seattle 36, or Snapshots

click

I'm all moved into the newest Kibbutz house, house Gimmel. Moving in was sweet - Jenny, an old college friend, happened to be on her own soul searching cross country roadtrip, and arrived with her fellow road warrior, Fritz, in time to schlep my boxes down the street. With their help, and that of my doppelganger compatriot, Dain, I was moved in less than five hours. With lots of breaks for food.

click

Now that all our friends know we have a house to fill, Gimmel has become a local dumping ground for stuff our friends don't want. We've acquired a laundry basket full of food, a coffee grinder, a microwave, an armload of mismatched dishes, a couple of coffee tables...the list grows as I breathe. Our first house meeting is tomorrow, and hopefully, Where To Put It all is on the agenda. Not that there's a lack of space, mind you - the house is large, beautiful, spacious and full of light. There are skylights in every room but the bathroom.

At night, the moon comes through mine and paints a beautiful shadow on my bedroom wall, all evergreen silhouette and fairy flowers.

click

Three empty bottles of Fat Tire beer, each holding a Shabbat candle, in my window.

click

All of my postcards from the Prague Museum of Communism, artfully arranged on my walls and door.


click

My sister's artwork on my walls, making the place look like home.

click

The coming back from the gay pride parade, glitter and confetti clinging to my clothes. I'm smiling despite myself. I'm so sick of Pride, of the complacency it brings, but it is nice to see "the family" all out and about in our feathers and finery. There are a couple of kids from work I wish I could bring, sneak them down, and watch their eyes grow big, maybe whisper to them "Honey, if you hang on and make it through the next twelve years, this is what will meet you on the other side. And they're worth waiting for."

Below: my favorite picture from pride, found on google, source unknown:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chicago Pride was fun too... I am happy to hear you are settling in, I hope the 4th is fun! and you have things to do u will enjoy. We hope to be a Paradox.... My barbecue needs me :-)

YLD,