6/19/2009

Seattle 31, or Happiness

I love this picture. Actually, I just really love this shirt. Credit, as always, to Andi Burk.

The birthday celebrations and gifts have begun - this week, my whole family pooled together to help me buy a beautiful bed, after so many months of a small mattress on the floor. It'll get assembled when I move to the new Kibbutz house down the street on Monday. From my grandmother and her husband, a set of sheets so soft they make my bed look and feel like a cloud. They have said a quilt is on its way. I feel like the world's luckiest swan, or something.

Tonight, I came home from a long, rough shift to find a package waiting for me from my grandparents in Tenafly: sweet things, rich things, salty things, like a slice of their kitchen sent via parcel post. Tucked inside, a card, with a long rhyming poem, as is family birthday custom. With two graduations and two June birthdays, their study must've been a regular writers' den! I read the poem out loud to my listening housemates, who looked admiringly at the food (I've promised a feast this weekend!), and laughed with me, and pretended not to notice when I got choked up towards the end.

And the days are long now, the last stretches of sun reaching far past nine o'clock. We, the city-dwellers are soaking it in and storing it for the rainy season.

3 comments:

gillis said...

hooray for june birthdays! i hope yours is fabulous.

Jerzeygirl said...

Are you kidding me? You get sun in Seattle and we get 18 straight days of rain, with deadly hail mixed in? We had snowplows out in June to clear out the six inches of hail. Oh, I forgot to mention the flooding.

Happy birthday from Noah's assistant ark builder!

sparrow said...

I'm jealous. I'm still sleeping on a mattress on the floor.

Happy birthday!