5/04/2009

Seattle 18, or Comfort Food

One of the nice things about my flexible schedule is the ability to take a sick day before I become totally miserable. This morning, after an interview with a school that's going to add me to their referral list for tutors, everything above my neck started to hurt. While I waited for the second of the three buses I needed to get home, I was drawn into the little Indian grocery store/restaurant next to the stop that seemed to be wafting delicious spicy smells straight into my aching head.

I grabbed two samosas - the Indian version of every culture's meal-wrapped-in-dough. The Jews have knishes, the Hungry Ghost Bakery has Savory Folds, the Italians have Stromboli, the Mediterraneans have falafel and schwarma, and many South Asian countries have these:


Packed with potatoes, peas, cumin, coriander seeds and other spices, when you can grab yourself a couple of fresh, hot samosas wrapped in a paper bag with a little mint chutney on the side and eat them furtively on the bus home...well, at least my headache was cured by the time I got back to the kibbutz. The long nap that followed seems to have gone a long way towards the rest of my symptoms. Let's just see if it holds.

Other comfort foods of mine: (in order of descent)homemade macaroni and cheese, avgolemono soup, all manner of Mediterranean food...



Your turn, readers: search for a picture of your favorite comfort foods and post them in the comments. (posting a link to said picture is acceptable, as long as the image is isolated from the website. If you require assistance, let me know and I'll show you how to do it.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are making me positively hungry with your picture gallery, you foodie! How successful was the interview?
LYP