4/16/2009

Seattle 11, or An Essay Draft about Jews

I knew coming here just in time for Passover was a bit of a mistake. Though I've found Jewish community, and there are plenty of synagogues, let us be honest: Seattle is not New York. Your average non-Jew Seattleite has no idea there's a Jewish holiday going on, not only because they don't know many Jews, but because the stores are putting matzah in the aisle with the crackers, and gefilte fish next to egg noodles, and nobody seems to have heard of horseradish in a jar. Creamed horseradish, next to the ketchup? Yes. Raw horseradish, in the produce section? Yes. Bottles of Goldman's red and white horseradish in the kosher aisle? What kosher aisle? You mean the place with the Maneschewitz grape juice next to the egg noodles?

I've been answering a lot of questions about Passover this week - my roommate wanted to know if Passover food traditions have to do with cleansing the body, someone asked if matzah is "that stuff made with lamb's blood", and, perhaps more understandably, another Jew asked, "So why do beans and rice count as bread?" (The answers: No. No. It's complicated. And has to do with rabbis and geography.)

But there's been one other question that's come up twice, from two different people who do not know each other, who both are Black and were raised Baptist. One is my roomate's boyfriend, the other a student in my writing class.

"Is Jew a bad word? Isn't it correct to call someone Jewish, but not a Jew? Is calling someone a Jew like calling them the n-word?"

I've never had to articulate this before. My use of the word "Jew" has been intuitive for most of my life. I was lucky enough to grow up in a place where I never heard terms like "Jewing people down" or "kike". And yet, in both literature and history, I encountered the use of the word "Jew" as something derogatory. After talking it out with both these folks, I realized that the distinction is one that's very Jewish-specific, and was able to form some coherent thoughts on it.

Because "Jewish" is both a religion and an ethnicity, it challenges the assumptions we make about language. When referring to someone's religion, it's entirely appropriate to refer to them as "a Christian", "a Muslim," or "a pagan." In this context, it is appropriate - and to me, preferable - to be called "a Jew."

Ethnicity is a little more complicated. After all, many people identify as Jews without ever practicing the religion. If we look at other ethnic groups for precedent, it gets more confusing. We refer to people as "Latino" or "Asian." These are used as adjectives to modify some other identifier - "an Asian man," "a Latino professor." With race, it gets even more defined - would any politically conscious person of my generation ever refer to someone as "a Black?"

And yet, many of us Jews persist in identifying ourselves as "a Jew." What's more, some of us identify with the ethnicities within Judaism, calling ourselves Ashkenazi, Sephardic, or Mizrachi. I have used (and have heard) Jews resist using these words as adjectives, calling themselves "an Ashki", "a Sephardi", "a Mizrachi," though use of the adjective form is more common, as in "I'm a Mizrachi Jew." Does this mean other people shouldn't? Is there a parallel between Black-on-Black use of the word "nigger" and Jew-on-Jew use of the word Jew? I'm pretty sure there isn't. "Jew" isn't a derivative of another word, designed and meant to be used disparagingly.

I think, for some of us, it comes down to the question of central identity: what you're willing to use as a modifier, and what you want to hold firm. In Hebrew school, they once asked us:

"Do you identify as a Jewish American, or an American Jew?"

Many of us didn't get the difference; as assimilated kids, our identities were never challenged. Most of us didn't feel like our Jewishness excluded us from American culture. Most of us didn't know what it meant to choose assimilation over culture. It has already been chosen for us. Those of us who did get the distinction had very clear and specific preferences.

"I'm a Jewish American, because I love my country more than I love Israel."
"I'm an American Jew because my grandma says no matter where they kick us out from, we'll always be Jews."
"I'm an American Jew because I pray in the morning before I say the Pledge of Allegiance."
"I'm a Jewish American because I never pray."

I never forgot that lesson. My answer is not among those above. I had no answer at the time. Today, I'd say I'm an American Jew because when I'm in a foreign place, I look for communities of Jews before I look for communities of Americans. The rituals of Judaism create a home for me, even among strangers.

But of course, that's not the case for everyone. There are those Jewish Americans (or Jewish women, Jewish doctors, Jewish Canadians, or Jewish Marxists) who choose to centralize some other aspect of their identity. To call them "a Jew" would not be incorrect or cruel, and certainly not the equivalent of calling them a racial slur. But it might make them uncomfortable, especially if s/he isn't used to identifying solely as a Jew. In short: if you're unfamiliar with someone's identity, say they're Jewish. But don't be afraid that the PC police will come running after you for saying "Jew."

Unless, of course, you accompany it with a word like "dirty." There's no confusion about that.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with, and am fond of, everything you just said.

I've had disagreements with other people over the word "Jewess" in particular. Apparently goyim are afraid to touch it, or find a tabboo broken when others touch it. Apparently pointing out someone's heritage or religion is ok ("jew"), or pointing out their gender is ok ("woman") but combining them into one word crosses some line? V. interesting ... I think it's pretty though. :)

Dane said...

S.S. wrote:

Just read the whole entry. Loved it. Don't have the focus right now to really process/reflect, but there's one thing I'll never forget from one of my trips to Israel. I was with my friend and we visited her fiance's Birthright group, which was of, like, born-again someones from somewhere in the west. I'm assuming they were raised Christian and converted to Judaism? Not really sure. Anyway. There was this discussion led by a rabbi and his son who either is more religious or less or something where they aren't on the same page. Someone said something like "American Jews aren't really the same, they don't feel the pain when a soldier dies, they don't KNOW that soldier the way that a mother in Israel feels like she personally knows who just got killed, because her son or daughter is also potentially in the same position." It was something like that. Regardless of what he was actually talking about with the army or whatever, I thought his whole "American Jew" usage was interesting.

sparrow said...

Interesting. I think I'd say I'm an American Jew for precisely the same reasons as you. And also because I feel like Jewishness is a much more integral part of my identity than American-ness. Being American is incidental to how I view myself - it's just a function of where I was born and where I live - but being Jewish is a major part of who I am.


Your post also reminds me of the time when I was standing in line outside a kosher ice cream store telling my cousin about how I used to greet my Smith Hillel friends by running up to them and yelling, "JEWWWWS!" The guy in front of us in line turned around and said, in slightly affronted tones, "You know, I'm Jewish."

"So am I!" I said cheerfully.

"...Oh."

And he didn't seem to know what to say after that.

Sara said...

Huh... interesting.. sometimes it's in the back of my mind when I sit in my American Jewish history seminars.

I don't... think... since the first class, anyone, anyone has ever said "Jewish Americans" rather than "American Jews". Seems to me that pretty much everyone identifies themselves as American Jews, Jews who live in America...

Anonymous said...

Seems that nothing ever changes, and this problem of saying the word Jew has existed in various forms long before the concept of PC ever was invented! Had fun reading the blog and comments!
LYP

Anonymous said...

This was a really thoughtful, interesting read, thanks for posting it.

I don't know if you've ever had a reason to Google "Jew," but if you do, this is always linked at the top of the sidebar:
http://www.google.com/explanation.html

I think this explains a lot about why many thoughtful non-Jewish people tend to avoid the term; I've had a couple of experiences myself where someone saying, for example, "She's a Jew" instead of "She's Jewish" has been an early indicator of ignorance and/or bigotry. Not that that's always the case - obviously who is talking and where and how are the really key factors - but often it is.
-Erica

Anonymous said...

Wow Erica, thanks for the tip about google, I hadn't seen that before! That is really fascinating (and disturbing).

Sarah said...

There's an interesting grammar confusion involved, too, especially for non-native english speakers (note: this is really abby's idea). In English, you can be Muslim and a Muslim, Christian and a Christian, but not Jewish and a Jewish.

Sometimes Davey Wins said...

i say jew /because/ it makes people uncomfortable. i think it is uncomfortable in part because it has been used disparagingly. which, obviously, is fd up. and because it's been used disparagingly, people avoid it. that also is fd up. by using it positively, and resisting the i am disrupting the taboo. ... and i think that's okay mostly bc i am a jew. wouldn't much like for non-jews to use it that way, w/o some ally-proving work first.

i think jewess does the same thing, only more so (bc more negative connotations). but i don't use it as much cuz i'm not one. but when those fabulous jewesses i know (including folks with a wide variety of feminine genders) do use it for themselves, it's one of the sexiest things i can imagine.

Dane said...

Oh, Jewess is a whole other bag of complicated. I grew up hating the word Jewess because it implied I wasn't a real Jew. Or something. I have a friend (one who's done serious ally-proving work, as Davey might say) who affectionately calls me Jewess, but then again, my nickname for him is Shaygetz McGoy.

When I was little, I thought Jewess held a similar connotation to 'witch', because that's how it was used in literature. I thought about how the word "Jewess" seemed to always be attached to some witchcraft-like accusation - butchering Christian children to be used in matzah-making, for example. But this is just a memory, and I have nothing to back it up.

I've also got no interest in reclaiming it, honestly, any more than I'd want to call myself a poetess. I think it creates gender binaries in words we've finally started to homogenize - see 'actress' and 'airline stewardess' for better examples.