3/21/2009

Detroit 5, or The Detroit Youth Girls Slam

It's no secret that youth slam is one of the reasons I'm moving to Seattle. It's not only home of one of the strongest youth slam scenes in the country, but the adult slam scene is very connected with the youth scene, and I can't wait to be a mentor.

The big event I went to today was a slam for young women in Detroit, where I got to see some of the work the Detroit youth scene is busting out, and I was impressed. The skill level and range was as varied as the subject matter, but the two winners were terrific poets, and their performances were energetic and powerful (if sometimes a little unfocused).

Tonight is finals night. I haven't cried yet this week, but I'm ready for a poem to really bring me to my feet. I just sent my roommate off in cowboy boots and a dress so perfectly fitted I probably couldn't get one arm through it - she's competing in the finals, and I really, really hope she wins. Except that I also hope my mentor wins. And I hope my idol wins. And I hope my friends win, and none of these are the same people.

No comments: