12/12/2008

North Carolina 2, or Lines That've Stuck With Me

Notes: most of these are not perfectly verbatim, as I've heard them once. Don't come running after me with pitchforks.

The final line of a 1 minute poem about a woman who sees some light of recognition in her sister's eyes and hears her struggle to make sounds through her coma.

My father says she's just grinding her teeth.

In a poem spoken by G-d.

You asked for direction. You got choice.
You asked for comfort. I gave you desire.
You asked "G-d! Love me!" And I gave you stone cold silence so you would have to love each other.

In a poem about in the voice of an old woman from New Orleans who tried to ride out the storm.

A pastor can only put you in the ground, not Heaven.

The final lines of the aforementioned poem about the man with Alzheimers. This one is very not-verbatim.

...so I gave her a nickname. She doesn't notice when I use it because I only say it when I manage to remember the words to grace at the table. Our father...who art in...heaven. heaven. heaven.

No comments: