12/04/2008

New Jersey 18, or Worries, Again

Dear You Know Who You Are,

See, part of the problem is that I remember you being cold. I remember you being gray. I remember the rain and the clouds that hid the mountains and I remember your streets. Steep streets. Long hills to walk for a body without a car. I remember exactly how few of your people I actually know, and how little I've even spoken to the ones I do. I remember your distance, wanting to call home when it was too late.

And I think of myself alone, or maybe with a roommate, trying to find a job and failing wildly. I think of not having enough money to see my family, blood and poet. I think of being miserable. You remind me of Prague, sometimes. At least in Prague, I didn't have to pay rent.

And then I think about Bent. I think about that small basement room filled with poets, and how sweet they were to me when I visited on tour. I think of maybe joining a choir (though I wish it were somehow possible to sing for free. One thing about being in school is someone else pays the director.) I think of the youth poets and the mentorships. I think, maybe, of Jews.

And I think of how sure I was just a few months ago. How I was so positive I couldn't stay here - "here" being anywhere on the East Coast. How much energy I had when I came back from touring. How scared I was when I decided to stay longer. I'm pushing my flight back again, just by a week, a few extra days. Let the airline prices drop a little. Help Mom pack just a little bit more. One or two more lunches and dinners with my grandparents. I'm stalling, Seattle.

But honestly, you're not helping. I know it's just as much my fault for not planting any seeds when I was there, so of course I won't be greeted with flowers than I arrive. But really, I could use some dandelions right about now. Nothing fancy - just a little splash of yellow, some soft blur about ankle-height, just so I remember why I'm doing this. What's important.

in trepidation,
~me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dane, I won't speak for Seattle but we welcome you out to this side of the country. I do understand this worry, especially since finding work anywhere is tough right now.

But all change has challenges. You may not have "your" family here but you will have family and we have lots of extra rooms if you just need somewhere to be. We are just an hour south of Seattle. We even have beds in those rooms ofter have a house full last month.
Peace
Ellen

Dane said...

So funny, Ellen, I saw Aliyah yesterday. She came to my poetry reading at Princeton, and we're having lunch today. Seeing her made me think about getting in touch with you guys. I'm touched by the offer.

Thank you.
~Dane