10/01/2008

Jersey 5, or A Gut Yor

A snippet of Rosh Hashana at my [parent's] house:

Right now, the men are in the living room, talking shop and loosening their ties a little while the women changed their clothes as soon as they walked in the door from synagogue and are now running about the kitchen in jeans, trying to get everything on the table before the rest of the family arrives. Today's meal is more colorful than yesterday's - a salad of soft cheese, watermelon, mint and basil. Spanikopita. Lox and bagels, the soft pink like a baby blanket. I realize, in a moment of forgetful panic, that none of it is vegan. Then I realize there aren't any vegans in my family.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes.

Dane said...

Rachel? Are you one of the many many Jewish Rachels?

Esther said...

Next year in Jersey, my friend.