9/03/2008

Salt Lake City 1, or Arrival Post

And here I am, only a little bit disoriented. As I left the plane, I thought to myself, "I've only been traveling for four hours...I shouldn't be farther than Flagstaff, right? And yet here I am, in the cool mountains with the bigger trees and the welcome lack of cacti. Oh, and the independent bookstore with the free wi-fi. Shae was right: Salt Lake City is to Utah what Austin is to Texas: a little blue dot in a big red state.

Although I did notice that the biggest building for miles around belongs to the Mormons, which is not a surprise but a little bit unsettling nonetheless.

Also: Tucson has no big buildings. They're all so very close to the ground. This feels more like a city.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SLC is actually a very nice city, with a lot of really good music, good restaurants, and a lot of sweetly smiling people who will try to seduce any passerby to their religion!
LYP

Anonymous said...

Not to mention, incredible skiing and hiking and dazzling beauty a stone's throw away.
LYVVLM