9/08/2008

Denver 2, or Cheater Entry: Salt Lake Retrospective

This is an email I received today, regarding my first performance in Salt Lake. It's from Ami, an improv jazz pianist who offered to accompany several of my pieces. I was happy to take her up on it.

"I wanted to tell you about my experience watching you perform at Mestizos. While you were performing the piece about your Grandmother I had a somewhat mystical response.

You can interpret this for what it may be worth to you, but these are the words that I can use to best convey what I saw. As the piece progressed I began to see your auric field expand and at a certain emotional height in the poem your light became bright enough and expanded enough that I was able to see other forms within your presence. I had the impression that you were being guided and protected by family members that have passed on and that they were there with you in that moment. I am largely a kinesetic person and react to how I feel about what I am perceiving.

What I felt from this impression was a large group of family that was standing with you. I also sensed that by honoring the emotional connection to your grandparents you were honoring the memory of a very long family line that had been held for many generations.

I have a similar connection to my family and my grandparents that have passed on which is why that piece touched me in such a powerful way. I also was affected very deeply by the Swastika piece. In fact, for reasons I am not totally aware, I was affected very personally by that piece as well.

I have Native American heritage that is not spoken about in my family. From what I do know of that history, I know that I do not know enough. I do know however of what it is like to "hide the books". That line inspires me passionate. Thank you for sharing your passion, your insights, your knowledge, and your voice. I have learned from you. I hope that your wonderful journey continues safely and with beauty.

Ami"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a beautiful response to your work! And so generous of her to share that with you! Did her comments resonate with your own experience of your performance?
Great to talk to you tonight - have fun exploring Denver tomorrow!
Love,
YVLM

Anonymous said...

that IS beautiful. Which poem was it that had such an impact?
LYP

Dane said...

It could've been either "The Memory of Rising" or "Bilingual", I'm not totally sure. The other one is definitely "Swastika."