2/24/2008

Massachusetts 17: A Poll, or At Last! A
Break From Incessant Poetry!


I lost my Magen David necklace today. I've worn it every day for years, but the clasp has been kind of funny lately, and I imagine it just dropped to the ground somewhere between my house and the coffee shop. I'm not so sad as one might think, because although I liked my star very much, it was given to me by the Men's Club of my home synagogue, just like all the other bat mitzvah girls in my year, so it wasn't so special.

However, I like wearing a star. I like putting it on every morning, I like identifying as a Jew in public. I find myself fiddling with it when I'm thinking hard, even sometimes when I pray, which is not too often.

So, I'm casting about for a new one. This time, I'll have a choice in what it looks like, which is neat. I'm posting here a few pictures, and asking everyone to weigh in. Go ahead - what's your two cents?



This is option A. I like it because of the intertwined triangles, which I've always favored over the one-on-top look. I also like the aesthetic of the twisted metal. But maybe it's a little boring?
















This is option B. It's not a star, but a shofar, a ram's horn. I like it particularly because I've never seen a shofar necklace before, and because I am a shofar blower. It's a stronger representation of my participation in the Jewish community. And it might come in handy, should I ever need to hide my Jewishness (G-d forbid!) But do I really want to go around explaining what the hell I have on my neck to everyone?





This is Option C. I can't lie; I love this one so much, both because it brings two historical symbols of resistance into one piece of jewelry, and because it's a little imperfect. However, it also says "never again" on the back of it. Do I want to carry around the Holocaust on my neck? It's already on my shoulders. And maybe that clenched fist is a little too appropriated...






That's all for now. I'll post more designs if I find any.

6 comments:

Sometimes Davey Wins said...

i wish the fist one said something a little more revolutionary or positive. totally with you on the not carrying around the holocaust any more than we do already.
in general i like the simple ones.
i lean away from the shofar one because a) as you said no one will know what it is therefore b) it won't be as useful as a start at deflecting christian holiday well-wishers and c) if you /really/ need to hide your jewishness, you'll take off the necklace anyway.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Davey on all counts. Man, I'm original.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I say option A.

- tamgelb

Anonymous said...

As you know I am not in favor of wearing ones faith (or lack thereof)on your chest, but rather inside! Therefor I will refrain from voting on this issue altogether, except to comment on the last one, and to remind you that the clenched fist and the "never again" are symbols of the ultraright settlers and the JDL (Jewish Defense League), so it would be just the right thing and very fitting for you!!
Whatever you chose will fit you right!

LYP and LYM

Anonymous said...

I have to say, the fist looks like it's flipping the bird with the magen david behind it.

Abby said...

Not a huge fan of any of them. I think the shofar one is cool because it's a good representation of one of the ways you connect with Judaism, but I don't know that I'd choose it as a magen david replacement. I think I'd keep looking and you might know it when you see it.