6/04/2007

Oregon 1, or Adventures In Family Travel
written 6/4/07-6/5/07

It started, as do many things, with my mother and a desperate phone call. My father's birthday was approaching too rapidly for comfort, and she had no gift ideas. It's virtually impossible to actually buy the man anything, since he doesn't pine for material things - he buys whatever he needs or really wants, and doesn't need or want anything else. The last time my mother tried to buy him a present, he put it in the opposite corner of the living room and went out and bought himself something he liked better. My mother and I kvetched for awhile about my father's gift impossibilities, and hung up with resolutions to brainstorm like mad.

The result of those brainstorms, and many months of planning was this: a 10-day vacation to the West Coast, with three components: a drive up the coast from San Francisco to Oregon, a whitewater rafting trip down the Rogue River, and a three-day digital photography class for my dad to attend.

Right now, we're in the last stage of the trip, and my father seems to have enjoyed himself thus far. My sister and I have managed to share the backseat of a rented Chevy Impala without any major insults or injuries (we'll just forget that bit about my saying she couldn't harmonize for beans), the scenery has been beyond incredible, and - dare I say it - my family seems to be behaving functionally. We're traveling well.

Traveling with my family is completely in contrast with the travels I did in Europe. I noticed this immediately when we arrived at the airport and got to stand in the "Priority/Elite/FirstClass" baggage line. My first thought was this: the last time I was flying, I was nobody's "Priority" but my own. The baggage handlers at this airport were polite and friendly, called my mother "Ma'am" and laughed at my jokes about being a "Priority."

When my family travels, we stay in places that aren't just "nice". They're often beautiful and luxurious, like this house on the beach. When I traveled as a student, I traveled cheaply, with comfort as a secondary priority. But I still made decisions. It was more important for me to eat good food than stay in a hotel or a nicer hostel. I liked people-watching from street cafes better than art museums, although I did see some fantastic art museums. I jumped on a trampoline in a park in Budapest instead of going to one of its famous spas. I went to the London Gay Film Festival instead of the Tower of London. I think I'm pretty weird about traveling, actually. But that's an analysis for another entry.

At this point, I'm enjoying Oregon, a state I've never been to before. But I'd like to relate one more incident that really startled me. I think you all might find it amusing.

I had an experience several days ago in which my younger sister sent a pasta dish back to the kitchen at a restaurant. I almost stopped her. Why? Because two simultaneous thoughts went off in my head like fireworks:

1. Wait, you can’t do that! Who does that? They’ll never accept it - just eat what you can and you’ll eat at home.

2. You're complaining about a little too much cream on your pasta? Are you for real? They got your order right - what more do you want?

And then the waitress happily took the order back to the kitchen, apologized to my sister for not getting it right, and brought her back a steaming cream-less plate without charging her for the other one. I don’t think I spoke for whole minutes after that (which, for me, is generally a feat). Welcome back from the Czech Republic, Dane.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Still getting over the culture shock??

I think I can and will understand that about restaurants... when they slap the check on your table without you even asking (or badger for one) for it...that, I'm still not quite used to asking for one. I guess I like to be treated like a princess.

Monkey's Max said...

Very nice contrasting restaurant story, but are you sure the waitress didn't spit in your sister's pasta?

Anonymous said...

the west coast in general is quite a beautiful place. im glad your finding it as gorgeous as i did. can you post some of the pictures (well if you took any) of the trip?
-Ari

Yael said...

daaaane come home. and give me your phone number. and help me make challah :(

lol. ♥

Alexei said...

I'm assuming this beach was Ocean Shores? I love that beach sooooo much!... Anyway, welcome back Dane! ;)

Anonymous said...

i guess i would like to apoligize for being such a selfish brat?

and in case you hadn't noticed, you're classist. really. really. classist. like when you compare your family and the lifestyle with which you grew up to those of your less fortunate friends. sure, if you go to a restaurant depending on the restaurant you get different service. sure, pay the extra money, you get better service. sure, not everyone can afford such luxerious accomodations and you may not want to see the sights of the city and look at it in a more...up and down trampolini way cause that's what appeals to YOU. but don't write me off as being some selfish idiot for returning something that would have made me carsick ALL over YOU.

Dane said...

Liora,

I think there's been a misunderstanding. I know that cream sauce makes you sick. My critique has nothing to do with your request, except your right to request it. And the waitress's response, of course. The point is, it's different from the Czech Republic. Not that you're a spoiled brat. You're not.

~D