3/13/2007

Praha 33, or Just a Little Green

This entry shares a title with a Joni Mitchell song. Today, I'm writing this entry from a CET computer, in the lab. The windows are wide open, the sun is bright, and there's hardly even a breeze. Really, I forgot how much more cheerful I get when the sun comes out. Joni is singing in my head...

Just a little green
Like the color when the spring is born
There'll be crocuses to bring to school tomorrow
Just a little green
Like the nights when the northern lights perform
There'll be icicles and birthday clothes
And sometimes there'll be sorrow



Of course, this means that tourists are really beginning to flood Prague. It's even affecting my short commute to school - so many more people to dodge!

In other news, I've been wracking both my brain and the Internet, trying to figure out what to do with myself this summer. I know it would be more career-smart to do an internship, or something big and fascinating, but honestly, I don't think I have the energy. I am so much more tempted to be a day camp counselor, save some money, spend time adjusting back to the States, and use my free time to hang out with friends, volunteer, and try to get some poetry published. After a semster with so much discomfort, I want to come back and nest for awhile. And then I'll start my cool research job in the fall.

What do you think, members of the blogosphere? Am I making sense? Is it stupid to "waste" my last academic summer break being so ordinary? What about those of you who have been abroad? What sounds smartest to you?

2 comments:

Ariel said...

I'm leaving this country on the next boat out. I'm anxious to keep moving, to see more, to be forced out of my comfort zone again so I can learn and grow.

And help people in the process. So I'm going to be volunteering at a Liberian refugee camp in Ghana. But I don't know that I'd be able to handle that right after another abroad experience.

Alexei said...

My selfish side says you should do whatever you want for the summer- as long as it's in Northampton! The idea of getting coffee and being "normal human beings" is apparently too much for me to handle...

Honestly, go for the most care-free option. Trust me- you'll have plenty of time after graduation to be a boring, responsible adult!