3/02/2007

Praha 28, or Small Moments

(written 3/1/07)

1) A new ice cream place just opened right across from my school. In one of my more amusing moments with the Czech language, I ordered one scoop of ice cream – in the biggest cone available. I swear, the ice cream girls were looking at me weird.

2) Tonight, I made pita bread. It was delicious, but a little off. When I checked my measurements, I realized I’d put in not ¼ cup of oil, but ¼ liter of oil. I thought I’d been using too much flour…

3) I found an open mic at an expatriate bar* in English! I got to perform just two poems, but I’m going to perform again…and again….and again. It was probably the most fantastic moment I’ve had since I arrived. I love performing. I love the feel of a microphone in my hand, love looking at an audience, love the way my whole body moves and breathes differently. My adrenaline was high, my endorphins in full swing…it was so much fun!

Regarding #3…part of me was surprised at just how I happy I was. It also made me a little nervous; I’ve traveled halfway around the world, and the most fun I have is with a bunch of expats? It’s not like CET makes it easy for us to go out and meet actual Czechs, but reading at open mics is something I do in the US. Is bellydancing the only new thing I’ll come away with from this trip?

*expatriate = the community of people who were born somewhere else, where a different language is spoken, but are now living in Prague

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana, congratulations to be performing in Prague. Did you actually read anything in Czech? Did somebody ask you to read a poem or did you just grab a mike and read a poem? anyway, have fun and hope you get another chance to read!
LLLLYGM

Hi Dana,
I am wondering why CET does not make any effort to get you together with some Czech students? Why don't you suggest somethoing like that to your counsellors, I am sure it would be interesting for both sides to have a meeting like that.

LYP

Anonymous said...

hey

i actually think you're changing and don't realize it. you won't take things for granted as much as we used to. trust me - when you come back you'll see.

just because you go abroad doesn't mean the things you love change. stranger in a strange land + something familiar = happiness

Anonymous said...

hey -
why do you think there's an english open mic in an expat bar in Prague? maybe cause expats do miss home from time to time (or every day) and a little familiarity helps a lot! i think it's wonderful that you performed and that you enjoyed it so much!! don't over analyze it - it's really quite natural.
but i agree with YP about working on more interaction with czech students. maybe there's something going on at charles u that you guys could participate in?
lll,
yvlm

Elliot Coale said...

Congrats about finding a place like that. :D

Dane said...

Hi guys -

No, I didn't read a poem in Czech. If I wrote a poem in Czech, it would read like this:

"I like ice cream.
And I like Prague.
And I don't like goulash.
But I am an American Student.
Beer, please!"

CET does make effort from time to time to get us together with Czech students, but they have a problem with neither side showing up to the events they plan.

And yeah yeah yeah, i know. I'm overanalytical for fun, what can I say.

Love,
~D

Ariel said...

Your sister's quite right. Changes aren't usually quantifiable or even measurable, but that doesn't make you any less changed.