3/21/2007

Poland 4, or Horseradish

Warning: Offensive Content. There are a number of Holocaust jokes in this entry that may be very difficult to take.

Pesach is fast approaching. I'm reminded of this for several reasons, but mostly, I know Pesach is coming because Poland is flooded with Israeli kids on their pre-Pesach spring break. Ever since Poland joined the European Union in 2004, the local governments and overseas Jewish foundations started pouring money into Holocaust memorials. Where once there were only a few plaques, there are now full-fledged memorials, museums, tributes and preserved sites. And the tourism is absolutely booming. Auschwitz is one of the biggest, if not the absolute biggest tourist site in Poland.

So, of course it would make sense for the Israelis to send their pre-army high school kids here for spring break heritage trips. Not only that, they are also sending American kids who are doing their year-after-high-school-in-Israel experiences to Poland. I hear more Hebrew in Poland than I do English. But what follows is some of my thoughts on Israeli kids at Auschwitz. It is really exhausting to write these entries, so forgive both the shortness and the incoherency.

..............

Auschwitz is flooded with Israeli kids. They travel in packs, herded along by chaperones trying to speak as quietly as possible while still being heard. Some of them wear matching sweatshirts - there's an entire group in white hoodies emblazoned with stars of david that look like they're made out of barbed wire. Some of the groups are full of kids who are clearly religious, girls in skirts over sweatpants (it's a cold day), boys in suit pants instead of jeans. But the one binding factor is the presence of flags.

Every single kid coming from Israel, whether American or Israeli, has a full-size Israeli flag prominently displayed somewhere. Some kids tie them around their necks like capes. Others wrap their backpacks in them, or wear them around their waists like sarongs. Still others have attached their flags to branches or sticks, and carry them in two hands like a color guard. Girls wrap their hair in them, groups carry them in groups like banners.

Israeli groups make Auschwitz I, the morning stop, a crowded place, but the effiencicy with which the guides conduct all the people is astounding. I walk in and out of exhibits, trying to sift through the voices to find the one of my guide, trying to filter out the bits of Hebrew I keep overhearing. I say slicha when I bump into an Israeli, excuse me when I step on the toes of an American, and prosim when the crowd jostles me into Polish tour guides. The Israeli kids want to know where I am from, and I don't want to talk to them.

What is your point? I want to ask. Do you intend to conquer Auschwitz in the name of the Holy Land?

Bitterness fills me like horseradish. It is a new feeling; I am used to the exhaustion, the heaviness, the desire to sleep and cry. My brain comes up with the darkest jokes, the most bitter statements, and I long to share them with someone.

Look at how efficient these Polish guides are. You'd think they were Germans.

This is such an excellent memorial. Lovely, really. I think I'll go beat up some puppies now, to cheer myself up.

The Israelis make this place so crowded, soon they'll have to start performing selections on the visitors.

I stay out of the hardest parts of the tour. I do not go into the torture chambers, the gas chambers, the isolation cells. These are all rooms without windows, and I feel myself beginning to suffocate before I reach the doorways. Instead, I wait outside, sitting in the grass, thankful that today, the grass is green. Life exists inside the barbed wire, and while I don't feel very alive, the wet grass under my backside is absolutely alive.

Marjorie comes stumbling out of Block 11, where the torture cells line the basement. She looks steady enough, but I ask her if she wants a hug anyway. She takes me up on my offer, and starts sobbing into my shoulder. Suddenly, the scene is familiar - someone is crying, and I am holding them, and I don't have to cry. Only the hordes of Israelis add alienation, friction.

Picture the most famous view of Birkenau: the imposing main gate, with the train tracks going through it. This is where we spend the afternoon, wandering around the barracks at Birkenau. We've beaten the Israelis here by about twenty minutes, and are morbidly savoring the emptiness. It's all I can do to keep walking, try to make my mind stop being so awfully bitter. It's as if every tear I should cry has turned into some wisecrack. I say Kaddish next to a small pool, beside a memorial stone inscribed in Yiddish. "Nazis dumped crematorium ashes in this pool," it reads. "The victims never recieved a proper burial. May their souls be at peace."

Time to go. I sling my burdens over my shoulder and start walking down the tracks towards the gate, slipping every so often on the railroad ties. Suddenly, I hear music. I look up, and see one of the most startling things I've ever pictured:

At least five hundred Israelis are marching down the tracks. From this distance, the appear to almost be walking in rank. The flags are whipping around in the heavy winds, but the marchers seem undisturbed. The source of the music is a boombox, carried on the shoulder of one of the leaders. I think it's playing Hatikvah. As we get closer, I realize that I need to step off the tracks and walk on the uneven gravel to make way for them...

Fascinating, thinks my unrepressed brain, they brought the Salute To Israel Parade to Birkenau.

8 comments:

Yael said...

Sweetie, maybe not conquering Auschwitz in the name of the Holy Land but showing in their way that they are proud that despite Auschwitz, despite everything, there is this place, this country, to go to now. I don't think you'll agree with that, and i can see why. The amount of people, the boom box . . . it's so excessive. SO excessive. And yet, what if each flag, or even just half of them, was a symbol, for someone, of what had been overcome?

Still, I can't imagine Auschwitz with noise and crowds. I feel like it's the type of place that needs to be silent and relatively empty, or quiet enough and empty to let you absorb what you see and to think. And so despite the fact that I'm trying to look at this from a different perspective (and is there a point? not necessarily, and I hope it doesn't annoy you. it's just what i thought when you first mentioned this yesterday)I know that I probably would have been very bitter, too.

Your writing is so vivid, by the way. You write and it's powerful enough so that I almost feel like I'm over your shoulder, taking these scenes in with you.

Anonymous said...

Dana,
we both very much agree with Yael, even though we can understand your feelings as well. You may not appreciate it, but the raising of the Israeli flag as a symbol of the then new State was such an emotional event as probably no other in our lives. Unfortunately, when symbols are overused, they tend to evoke reactions that are contrary to the intent. So we understand your reaction, but would plead for you to remember that the Israeli kids , with or even in spite their masses and their noise, are also a reminder that the architects of Auschwitz did not succeed!

The fact that the holocaust has become an important part of Polands tourist industry is only another sad commentary about the holocaust itself. Isn't it somewhat similar in the US, although maybe not to the same degree? There is a reason why we cannot make ourselves to go to see the museum in Washington.

I hope you had some opportunity to see some things beside Jewish memorials on the trip. But mostly we hope that you do not let bitterness distort your view of Israel, which, despite all its flaws, has allowed you the freedom to grow up with a straight back.

LYPM

Sometimes Davey Wins said...

1) there are many things we jews excel at, not the least of which is finding hilarity in tragedy. you show yourself to be a very good jew. i know you know me well enough to hear the irony in that labeling.
2) i think you make assumptions about what counts as a healthy way to show/have/feel emotions. there is no right way. sometimes crying is not a release. sometimes "numb" counts as a feeling. sometimes i am too sad to cry. sometimes i am so happy i can't stop crying.
3) i do not know what you are feeling about the israelis with their flags and their boombox. here is what i am feeling: right now there is an entire generation of palestinian kids who are scared of israelis marching in the same way that my ancestors were scared of pogromskis. in two generations, their grandchildren will have the same automatic, intense, irrational, seemingly biological fear of hatikva as i do of the phrase macht shnel. i am not so worried about israelis dishonoring the memories at auschwitz. nothing anyone does can make that worse. i am scared of them creating more such memories.
4) and there's something else about the impossibility of a proportional emotional response to such an extremity of stimulus. but it's too long for a comment, so maybe i'll edit it up and post it and send you a link to it.

Sometimes Davey Wins said...

oh yeah, and re the commercialization of holocaust tourism: do you get a similar feeling in the U.S. around museums of American Indian culture? well, that's not quite parallel ... what about when American Indian culture is on display during one of those summer weekend events at Amherst Commons? (knowing that Lord Jeffrey Amherst, in whose honor the town is named, was the clever fellow who thought up small pox blankets.)

Sometimes Davey Wins said...

As promised ... http://sometimesdaveywins.blogspot.com/2007/03/weather-at-auschwitz.html

Anonymous said...

On reading my sister’s blog entries:

As you quietly tip toe through millions of
Lives that were
Trespassed on by
Boys with guns, I
Sit in a wooden chair and
Listen to your words that are typed harshly and
Maliciously.
Israeli flags parade around in your voice like
Barbed wire snags someone’s coat as
They run from the sound of guns but
You seem paralyzed in one state of mind, in one state of place
In one state and
You’re surrounded by gun-toting thoughts and ideas that
You’ve stopped repressing and I
Don’t know.
I don’t know.
But I pretend I do because I feel like
You might want someone to understand
So
I make like I do but
I can’t type to make you hear me
And I can’t call to make you see me
And I’m not there
And we’re not the same
But
Sometimes I like to pretend we are so
I’m seeing this through your eyes
Your eyes are
Piercing through years of history in a day in an hour and and
And as you sit
And say your prayers to bits of grass
I say my prayers my
Ghost is next to you my ghost is next to you
Whispering things I’ve already said.
Luckily, I’ve already said “I love you.”

Anonymous said...

Hey dearest Dana,

What you have written conjures up so much for me, your words are so evocative. It feels like your heart and mind are very full, maybe too full -

The image of the Israelis is striking, it feels like a chord being banged over and over again - it sounds good the first time, but then something more is needed. Its not hard to understand why the Israelis go in numbers - this is the core behind Israel, the reason that can pull us all together behind the vision of Israel, the unifying vision. I agree with LYP that it clearly represents a victory over the Nazis.

The hard part for me is figuring out how to reconcile it all today -the situation in Israel is more complicated today, there is no one unifying vision and we are left struggling with unhappy conflict that is hurting us all but that we cannot resolve.

So, in some way, these Israeli students in the vision you describe seem to be asking for a respite from the complexity of today, taking a moment to restore their faith in Israel by reviving the earlier vision of Israel - just a breather for a people who live in a tough place today.

I feel for them, but also see why you would feel sort of assaulted.

Big hug to you my little niece,
t

Sara said...

Dearest Dane-

When I first read this, there were no specific words for me to describe my reaction to your reaction at Auschwitz and seeing the Israelis. I had to get away and collect myself before I could read the post again.

First of all, Auschwitz is a very difficult place, even if a person thought s/he was well prepared to handle it. Everyone expresses their feelings differently. There's no right or wrong way to do it. Certainly, the Israelis' behavior shouldn't be judged.

Second, that was the March of the Living that you just witnessed and it's vert typical for the Israelis to wear the flags as they walk down the railroad tracks. Even I have a March of the Living book at home with a cover picture of two people wearing the flag as their capes. Those participants tend to be 16-17 year olds and not mature yet by the Army. You're 20 and you've had 2 1/2 years of college/adult life behind you.

Lastly, your mother and others have made an excellent point of how the Israelis view their trip to Poland. They have a spiritual connection with the place, Israel rose out of the Holocaust. Visiting Poland gives them an extra push for a reason to defend the Jewish state and get in that mentality for the Army. It is one of the reasons why I have such a connection with this country- I studied the Holocaust since I was a child so for me, it was the reverse. The Israelis felt connected to Poland because of their country's past immigration history. I felt connected to Israel because of my Holocaust experience. Think about how Israel's history affects their perspective, you took that Arab-Israeli Conflict class. The Israelis I know who visited Poland felt very much the same way as you did- came out very sobered by their experience. Their flags are simply reminders of their place and position in history.

Sometimes I question your decision to be in Prague. I know the experience is doing wonders and opening up your mind to other things more than you could ever expect (even though I know that you're very open-minded to a lot of things as you have to be in Northampton). But it's your spirited personality that makes me concerned. While you are not currently able to see yourself in Israel because of your beliefs, I think so much about the stark contrast between our lives and my reason for studying in Israel. I wrote to the USHMM in my personal statement that I chose Israel over Prague because I felt that I should choose life over death and live for the Holocaust victims rather than be *stuck* in Eastern Europe. And Dane, you, of all the people I know, surprised me that you chose the latter even though we have our historical roots in Eastern Europe. The grass is always green here. Nevertheless, I am glad that you are making the most of your study abroad experience in Prague- probably even more so than if I had been there with you instead of being in Israel.

This was difficult for me to write coherently and in a non-judgmental way because of my initial reactions and current position in Israel. Please accept (or not) as it is.

Love and hugs unconditionally,
Sara