3/17/2007

Poland 2, or The Overture To the Commencement of A Very Rigid Day

The title of this post is a fancy way of saying that I'm going to Auschwitz tomorrow. And I'm borrowing this computer, so this entry is going to be very quick, and not so cohesive.

1) I don't know if I will have internet for the rest of the trip, beginning tomorrow morning. I promise lengthy, detailed and insightful updates upon my return to Prague, but I can''t promise updates or even email contact for the next week.

2) It is still gray in Poland. The sky has not broken once, except to rain all day today.

3) I am coming slowly to the conclusion that it is impossible to be a truly global Jew unless one is Orthodox, or can follow an Orthodox service. More on this in the future.

4) I bought presents for people today, which made me smile. Especially one I bought for an 8 year old: a small wooden box, with a tooth carved on the cover. It's for teeth that have fallen out.

5) I am missing you all very much right now.

6) The letter I quoted in my last post was a letter I wrote to my rabbi from home, MK.

Good night, everyone. See you in a week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Journey!

Yael said...

::hug::

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I hope the trip is a good one, with some good surprises along the way. And I look forward to reading and hearing about it!
Good travels!
LLL,YVLM

Anonymous said...

Dana,
We don't know what to wish you for the trip to Auschwitz, but we do hope that the rest of the trip will have some bright and pleasant moments as well. And we can hardly wait to read about them. Am also curious about item (3) of your latest post. And last not least, hope the sun comes out over Poland too!

LYP and LYG

Sara said...

Contrary to what LYP/LYG said, I totally understand what you mean for #3. It's sort of like that in Israel.

I do look forward to reading your Auschwitz reactions- even if it's in poetry form. As much I don't mind it too much right now, I'm sort of sad that I won't get to visit Poland this year- had two opportunities but they have same dates and that's when the family comes to Israel. Another time. Another time.

I'm missing you too- remember to hug yourself every night as my good night hugs!