2/26/2007

Terezin 1

Warning: There are things in here that are not easy to read. They were certainly not easy to write. If any of my readers are unfamiliar with the Terezin Ghetto, I suggest you do some minimal research and familiarize yourself with Terezin’s history before reading any of my Terezin entries.

There is not much I can write yet about Terezin. I can only say a few things, in a fairly disjointed manner, taken from the notes I scribbled on the bus between the ghetto and the museum. So, forgive me.

I brought my camera, but couldn’t bring myself to take any pictures.

It is not like Dachau. Dachau has ghosts, a feeling of unrest. The buildings at Dachau were all destroyed when the camp was liberated, and all the buildings at Terezin still stand. There is a graveyard at Terezin, and perhaps that is why I didn’t see any ghosts there. They are all actually resting, in the very visible cemetery. However, I wouldn’t call it peaceful. It’s more like emptiness than peace, as if history has come in with its broom and swept the ghosts into the wind.

Our guide was a survivor. He had been in Terezin, Auschwitz and Friedland, all camps. Sara asked him how he felt coming back to Terezin to give tours, and all he could say was that it was easy compared to Auschwitz. He took us places and was able to say things like “This is where I was, and what I did, and what was done to me.”

There was a swimming pool. I almost laughed when I saw it. Our guide said they would put groups of Jews into the pool, and give them clubs to beat each other with. The rule was this: that only one man would be allowed to climb out alive. The rest must be drowned. He showed us the balcony from which the wives of the SS guards would watch and cheer.

Near the swimming pool was a tunnel, which led under a hill into the execution yard. Our guide called it the tunnel of death. As I walked through it, I whispered in Hebrew “and though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I have no fear, for You are with me” over and over again to make sure I kept breathing until I stepped into the light.

I wasn’t able to stand in any rooms without windows. I felt choked, and had to step outside to keep from hyperventilating, or vomiting.

As soon as we stepped outside the gates, my stomach growled fiercely. I went from feeling stuffy and sick to starving. How could I be hungry? How could a person be hungry in a place like this? But I saved some bread from breakfast on the bus, and it tasted wonderful. How can bread taste wonderful? But it does.

I did not cry.

This was Terezin. I visit Auschwitz next month.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

DANA!!!

I probably shouldn't leave such a happy comment to such a depressing entry, but I just spent the past 2 hours or so reading your whole blog. I lost the address, forgot about it for a while... long story short, I never got around to reading it until now. But is sounds like Praha is turning out ok and I'm really happy for you. Before I write more let me know if you're checking your email and I'll email you there instead.

Love you, miss you,
YBC (aka roza since i wanted a code name too... try and figure it out :) )

Dane said...

Hey My Best Cousin (Bearlioz)-

I am checking email, so you can write to me there, at dlhoratio@yahoo.com

I'm glad you're reading it! Can you get your mother and/or brother to read it too? I want to feel like they know what's going on too!

Love
~D

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana,
Sorry I haven't commented for a while. I've been checking your blog, but this is the first time in a while that I haven't had someone over my shoulder nagging me to let them use the computer. (Grumble.)
I'm sending you BIG hugs - I almost cried when I went to the Holocaust museum last year, and I know if (I hope when) I visit a ghetto or concentration camp, I'll be a mess.
In regard to your "Just an ordinary day" post:
Nah, If the commuters were as agressive with briefcases as high schoolers with backpacks, half the population would end up in the emergency room.
Right now I'm attempting to learn violin: my first lesson was last week! Hopefully, I'll be able to fiddle some simple tunes in a year or so. Or maybe not - violin is a difficult instrument to learn. Still, I'm happy I'm playing an instrument again!
Love,
Emily

Anonymous said...

Wow - I never know such evil stuff went on in Terezin too! I guess the "model camp" thing was just on the surface. I sure hope that when you go to Poland you'll get to see more than concentration camps. It's important to see them, yes, but in the scheme of things, there must be a lot more to see that represents a millenium or more of Jewish life in Eastern Europe! Provided it hasn't truly been erased!
Can't wait to see you next week!!!
LLL,YVLM

Anonymous said...

Hey Dana,

So glad to read what you've been up to! Just read Terezin entry, and it took my breath away. I'm reading backwards (go figure), so my breath slowly came back and warm, close feelings and smiles filled in that empty feeling on reading the earlier entries, especially the daily schedule and meeting Trudi.

I'll read more tomorrow, too late now. Just got back from a one week family road trip to Florida to see Dis and catch some sun. Other than the beach, my favorite part was the sign in North Carolina that said "Powhite Parkway," no joke! I'm thinking of moving there just to have that as my address. For now, I'm sending you lots of love and hundreds of kisses.

Your auntie T

Leah said...

Dane...sorry this is sooo late after you wrote this entry...I wanted to ask if you've heard of the play "I Never Saw Another Butterfly"? It's based on a book of artwork by the children at Terezin...we preformed it in high school. It's an amazing and powerful show which makes the audience cry.