2/14/2007

Praha 20, or Dr. Hacknwheeze Strikes!

Sorry for the lapse in updates, folks. Between hideous internet issues (sporadic, weak access, and an inability to use my laptop for internet) and my turn for the awful cold that's been working its way around my apartment, I haven't had time to write.

I'm headed to Vienna this Friday at the blissful hour of 5am, and I will be sure to write some very lengthy things once I get back!

However, I will leave you all with a poem I wrote yesterday. This is just a rough draft. I just finished a book called How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed. It’s a total Eve Ensler prototype – a woman named Slavenka Drakulic interviewed women across Eastern Europe, and used their experiences, as well as her own, to write a series of essays about women’s life under Eastern European communism. This was my immediate reaction:

At 16 Vinorhadska, the bulb is out in the living room,
so I am reading by a small lamp and squinting with concentration.
And somewhere in 1991
Slavenka Drakulic
is choking on her laughter in the candlelight.
The sound tastes like dark beer
in my mind, the bitter first sips
of an education.

I live in the alien world of ‘post’ –
everything from feminism to war is in the past,
and the present is dressed in children’s clothing,
bright colors, soon to be soiled and smudged and grown out of.
My present is disposable, my politics are laughable and I, like my world,
have the blessing of a short memory.

On the streets of New York, beggars lie
slouched against piss-soaked walls and shout
at passers-by while I

stumble on the hem of a tattered jacket,
walking too fast to watch for the silent man crouched at my feet,
head bowed, hands out and fingers tight as if he were waiting for the rain to fall,
so he might get a sip.

After the revolution, people still saved the pieces of yarn that
pulled from their sweaters as if they were saving the warmth
for a day when there would be none.

And although I tossed that sweater long ago,
Slavenka reaches to me with words like balled-up fists
full of yarn and says, here. You’ll need these if
you want to live in our world. Consider this your welcome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've been looking all over for your mailing address and I can't seem to find it posted anywhere. What the heck is it?

Anonymous said...

Hey Dana,

Could have really used you today as a spokesperson for the mamually factual. =P. Don't ask, it just something came up in conversation and I just thought, 'where's Dana when I need her? She'd have fun with this one.'
Anywho...
Wishing you a swift road to recovery from the apartment bug!
~ T

Anonymous said...

Hey - So good to see you are writing poetry, but interesting that your poem has generated no written reaction on this blog! I've been trying to come up with something to say, but I'm finding it hard to do. Why, I wonder?
It seems to have a good flavor of life in Prague as you are seeing/experiencing it, with a good overtone of cold, dreary weather. Maybe it's an indication that you are settling down?
Feel better, and have fun in Vienna?
LLL,YVLM

Anonymous said...

Dana,
you were wondering about the paucity of comments to the poem. I will give you my first reaction: " the puppy is starting to see after the first nine days." It looks to me that you're coming to grips with some issues which were too difficult to comprehend before you had a closer experience with them. I would call that a very very big step!

LYP

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Eve Ensler, I'm in a production of the Vagina Monologues this weekend! (I've also taken to calling them the Vag Mo's, as I remember you referring to them at some point once.) I'm doing "The Little Coochi Snorcher that Could" as well as the introduction, "I was 12, my Mother Slapped Me," etc. Anyway, I read the entries that came after this one, but I decided to comment on this one because you mentioned Eve Ensler, plus I LOVE your poem. I always love your poetry. You're freaking amazing.

Loooove,
Anna :-)