1/29/2007

Praha 11, or I Swear, This Is The Last One Today
(written 1/28/07)

First: good news. I just got the message that my luggage has been found! Hopefully I’ll get it by tomorrow. That’s about 10 days for anyone who was counting.

Now…

There’s a Sesame Street special that my parents taped when I was a kid. In it, I think all the characters went to Japan, but I could be mixing it up with the one where they all get locked in a museum overnight. Anyway, in one of those episodes, Big Bird sings a song about being homesick. I don’t remember any of the lyrics, just ol’ Big Bird in his yellow feathers resting his chin in his hand and singing “homesick…homesick…”

That moment of Sesame Street has never left me. I’ve remembered it many times, mostly at summer camp. You see, I’ve never been homesick before, not really. I was always that camper who mamaleh’d the other kids when they were crying into their sleeping bags. My second summer at Glen Spey Girl Scout camp, I was eight or nine years old, and one girl would just not stop crying. It was probably about ten o’clock at night, long after our lights-out, and she was just sniffling and gasping like her dog had died. I snuck out of my cot and went over to her, sitting on the hard tent floor.

“Hey,” I said. “Did you ever see that episode of Sesame Street where Big Bird sings that song?” Of course, I knew exactly what I was talking about, but it took a little while to get the message across to her clearly enough. Once we were on the same page, however, we started a whole conversation about different episodes of Sesame Street, and before I knew it I was sneaking back to my sleeping bag and she was snoring instead of sniffling.

I’ve talked about Sesame Street to many campers since that first time – many of them don’t know the particular episode, but most kids around my generation have seen enough Sesame Street to have a favorite episode, or at least a favorite character. Somehow, the childhood familiarity does a lot to ease the loneliness of homesickness in hard moments. Even when I had thirteen year old campers two summers ago, there were some kids who had a rough time adjusting to camp, and I spent many long goodnights rubbing a kid’s back and chatting about Sesame Street.

I’ve never felt homesickness like this before. It hits me the most in the evening, right when everyone’s out at the bars, or before I go to bed. It hits me like an unexpected punch in the nose, the kind that makes your eyes water. All I have to do is think of someone I love back home – a friend, my partner, even my grandma – and suddenly, it’s all I can do to stop crying.

I have a few theories about why this is. The first is that I’m not quite focused yet. Every camp counselor knows that the first thing you can do to help a homesick kid is keep them as busy as possible. I haven’t been busy. I’ve been luxuriously free to do whatever I want, and I’ve definitely had some fun, but it also leaves me way too much time to think. However, classes start tomorrow, and I have classes nonstop from 9am-4pm. That should be a good distraction.

The second is that some of my coping mechanisms have been compromised. Singing always – always – gives me that kind of strength. In some situations, I’ve managed to not be homesick solely on the power of my own voice. But this damn echo chamber of an apartment is so loud, I can’t sing at all. People keep asking me to be quiet, no matter what time of day it is. I’ve only been able to sing on the street – and I’ve been warned against that too – and when my apartment is empty. Another one of my coping mechanisms is to have clean laundry and clean sheets, always. This has worked somewhat, as I’m learning to drape my clothes over the heaters to dry, and how to work the washing machine so that it washes cold when I want it to. But it’s far from comfortable.

And the last two things I learned from camp – write letters, and never ever call home, not until the homesickness has passed. At first, I thought this policy was fail-safe, but I’ve been writing letters and blog essays of epic proportion, and I’m still homesick. So I broke my own rules and called Hopkins Kitchen tonight. It was agonizingly perfect – exactly what I needed, and exactly what I didn’t. It seemed like all my friends had just happened to gather in the kitchen, and the phone just happened to be working that day, and everyone had such nice things to say, and I could practically smell dinner cooking in the background….

I’ve become that kid I could never understand, but could always comfort. Angela told me to wrap my arms around myself and pretend she’s hugging me. Countless people told me to write, to vent, if I needed anything, anything at all…

So yes, I need something. I need you to talk to me about Sesame Street. Tell me about your favorite episode, tell me about your favorite characters. Tell me what you thought of the Muppet cast and whether or not they belonged there. Tell me how you hated it when Elmo became more of a star than Big Bird, or if you were alive when Luis and Maria got married, or when Mr. Hooper died.

Talk to me about Sesame Street, and I’ll talk to you about Oscar secretly being my favorite character because he was green. And how I thought Kermit was kind of a sap, but I totally understood his relationship with Miss Piggy. And how I loved the 20th anniversary episode that Bill Cosby hosted with Cookie Monster, or the museum episode where Cookie Monster was so good he didn’t eat a single painting in the Met, but then ate the entire hot dog cart outside of it. And how Big Bird sings another song called “What A Bird” that contains the lyrics “and though I’m big and tall / on this you can depend / I’ll scrunch down small / cuz you’re my most important friend.”

I’ll close with the lyrics I wish I could belt out my window onto the quiet midnight of Vinoradska Street:

Sing, sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong
Sing all you can with me
Sing, sing a song
Make it simple
To last your whole life long
Don’t worry that it’s not good enough
For anyone else to hear
Sing…sing a song
La la la la la…

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Big Bird,
Now I finally found out where your preference for OSCAR (loonybin) comes from. I hope now that you are in a 9-4 schedule your focus has returned and makes you feel better, after this blog of all blogs! Have to run, but just wanted to be the first to comment on this!
LYP

Anonymous said...

So the one I remember most is when Maria and Luis are making guacamole. Whenever I make guacamole I sing to myself "Chop an onion, Chop a chili pepper too, and mash the avocado till it's goo". I wonder if that was the beginning of your guac fetish!
YLM

Anonymous said...

i always liked snuffleufogus. he was a pretty cool dude that was a mix between a wolly mammoth and the earliest emo kid. must have been the butt of a lot of "there's a fungus among us" jokes.

anyway - one of the things that really helped me during my homestay...

they had this super sound system on the TV that played CD's as well. One night, when i was waiting for Nina and liz to come over for like lettuce and pb&j's, i took out my imogen heap and frou frou cd's, turned the volume up, and danced around the living room. Like, seriously danced. it felt so good just to move without being super cautious, which is kinda how i always had to be. It was the best night of the homestay.

try it sometime. put on move music and dance around, bend whichever way you want. it'll feel nice. just like dancing "in your all togethers" when no ones around.

Anonymous said...

Sesame Street always made me wish I lived in New York City. Or even any city with other people around...it's not quite the same as living in a forest. My favorite character....I guess I liked Grover quite a bit, even though he was sometimes annoying. I liked the bits where that green round-headed guy would come as a customer, and Grover was a waiter or shopkeeper or something and did everything wrong.

Interestingly enough, there's a Hindi Sesame Street too, made by the same people. It's called Galli Galli (pronounced "gully") Sim Sim, and it's set in -- probably Delhi, but the same sort of thing: a big city, lots of kids, muppets, a variety show of sorts. My favorite character on THAT is Boombah, a large purple shaggy "lion" -- kind of the Big Bird counterpart.

Oh, and I second whoever said that about Maria and Luis's guacamole!

Love.

Yael said...

Did you ever watch Shalom Sesame? I had one video with, I think, a Chanukah episode and Kippi Kipod? I could be making this up, though. Really, I was a big Barney person (I know, I know, right?)--my favorite thing was that on one of the Barney videos I had they sang the "I love you" song in Spanish. . . and so I would sing that to my mom every night. I don't remember it, and I doubt that I had any of the words right but. . .

Oh, but speaking of Oscar, his counterpart/name in Hebrew was Uffnik, I think. Which is an awesome name to have. Even more reason to like him!

Abby said...

Caitlin-I loved those Grover the waiter ones with that same man! He always had that attitude of "oh, no not you again." I think he rolled his puppet eyes. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana,

I'm sending you lots of VERY big muppet hugs.
I think my faviorite sesame street character as a little kid was this cute little orange muppet named Zoe. I think I liked her because she wore barrettes and had a pet rock. And she was one of the few regularly appearing muppets who were female!

Looking back, my favorite muppets were those little alien things that went "yip yip yip yip yip yip ha ha" or something like that. Are they even still on sesame street?

Love,
Emily

P.S. To whoever mentioned Shalom Sesame: I think I have that same episode at the back of a closet somewhere...

Anonymous said...

Dear D.
I loved your sesame street homesickness blob, pardon me, blog. I watched them with all of you so many times that I love them almost as much as you love them. Homesickness is natural when you are suddenly separated from your friends and family, but it goes away and it then leaves the nice memories, so it is all worth while. I am happy you got your suitcase back.
Love you, love you, love you, na shledanou soon!
LYGM

Dane said...

Hi everyone -

YLM means Your Loving Mother, for whoever wanted to know about who else loved guac.

I watched Shalom Sesame as a kid too - I recall an episode hosted by Yitzhak Pearlman - and I always thought Kippi the porcupine was more sophisticated than Big Bird.

Eyore, I think it was SnuffleuPagus (am I right, everyone?) Therefore, your fungus joke theory is totally contrived.

Eyore and Abby, last night my roomate Ellen and I turned the music up way loud in the kitchen and danced like fools to Israeli and Arabic music. We're going to bellydance class on Wednesday night. And Abby, we did Turkish Kiss, and I taught her Zodiac!

Em - right with you on the yip yip yip muppets. I can even remember the tune of their song. Except, when I was a little kid, they scared me. I liked Zoe though - didn't she hang out with Bob?

YLGM - Mammy! You posted on my blob! I'm so proud of you, and it's so good to hear from you.

Love,
~D

Anonymous said...

Well, speaking of Shalom Sesame, I think that series taught me the alphabet song in Hebrew, which was so neat cause I'd never learned it before. I still use that one from time to time, though I'm not sure why I need to? And I also liked Moishe Uffnick a lot! Great name.
And Dane, why did you out me? Now everyone knows who I am! I'll have to think of another acronym...
YLM

Anonymous said...

I loved BIG BIRD IN JAPAN - I used to cry myself when Big Bird sang about being homesick.

"Cause I'm homesick, homesick, homesick. If I ever get well, I'll never leave home again."