12/26/2006

Pre-Departure 2, or Can You Guide Me to a Book?

I was in Barnes and Noble today, probing the massive shelves with only a modicum of my usual guilt for supporting giant corporate book chains. In fact, I had the one guilt-free excuse for going to the commercial colossus in my back pocket - a gift card, from the family Christmas party haul. (For an explanation as to why I have a family Christmas party, ask in the comments.) Feeling pragmatic, I headed for the travel guide section, looking for a good Prague guidebook.

What I found was six different books which all promised to lead me to the same dozen "hidden gems" or "overlooked spots" in Prague. None of them told me where to get good Czech food, only where I could avoid the pitfalls of the local cuisine. They all had large sections devoted exclusively to shopping.

Now I'm not one to argue that Central Europe should be hailed for its great food, but I'm sure somewhere, someone has managed to make a chicken paprika like my grandma Mammy's. And I would travel for such food, let me tell you. And I'm also not one to argue that shopping isn't a fun part of traveling, but, come on! Half a book devoted to clothing bargains?

Help me, experienced travelers. I implore you - where can I find a guidebook that will help me find good local food, give me some simple useful phrases, show me a map of the metro and streets, and maybe point me towards a farmer's market or two? Oh, and maybe some etiquette as well...

In other news, my Paps' streitz is like eating cakey challah with a liberal dose of dried fruit. It is Bread of the Gods. Delicious.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you ever thought of just calling and asking my dad instead of getting into a tiffy? Honestly, we have guidebooks for everything including the Czech Republic not to mention that my dad has visted Prague at least seven times in my memory for several nights each time.
Love,
Niki

Dane said...

oh yeah.

but it sounded like such good blog material when I was ranting in the massive retail place.

speaking of calling, where were you all today? I must've called your sister four times...

Anonymous said...

i dont know if my dad has anything from western europe ... i think he might have visted it a while back i know hes been to germany recently but thats a world of difference then there.
-Ari

Anonymous said...

Why on earth do you have a Christmas party?

Oh and Nik has a book that sounds like what your looking for only it is for Italy but I'm pretty sure publishing company makes them for many places. I'll check with him.

Love ya
Annie

Anonymous said...

we were at the cousin's. Tamara is out for a couple of days but the rest of us are here. In other news I have discovered Audrey and I am in love.
~Niki

Anonymous said...

I'd worry more about the passport instead of the location of eateries. =P Part of the beauty of traveling is exploring! Anywho, people in your program will probably be more than happy to point you in the direction of decent food, markets, etc. Btw, my friend Joe says that Prague has really cool open air flea markets during the winter holidays.

In continuing other news: Niki's Audrey devotion has reached the poster stage.

Love,
Tamara

Dane said...

Why My Family Has a Christmas Party: The Explanation

My mother's father's mother was Catholic. Granted, she was a virtually non-practicing Catholic who married a Jewish guy, and in a town of 200 people in rural Czechoslovakia and raised her kids relatively Jewish, but she did throw a damn good Christmas party.

And so, that side of the family holds a Christmas party (it's unsaid, but in her honor). The party consists of her two sons who live in the US - my Paps, and his brother - and all the families that have come from their children. If Christmas falls during Hanukkah, we have a chanukiah (menorah) alongside the tree and light candles.

This Christmas party is a giant family reunion, too - I see cousins at this party that I only otherwise see at weddings and funerals. It's always been one of the best parts of any winter break.